Chapter 9

Dedicated to SkullVine... who asked nicely. ^.~   

*・゜゚・*:.。.:**・゜゚・*:.。.:**・゜゚・*:.。.:**・゜゚・*:.。.:**・゜゚・*:.。.:**・゜゚・*:.。.:**・゜゚・*:.。.:**・゜゚・*:.。.:**・

    The shakiness stopped. Amy and Rory began to talk about the Golden Gate Bridge and the Doctor walked around the console, flicking a few more switches and staring at a screen.

    “Oh, and Doctor,” I exclaimed, walking toward him. “I need to be back at Camp Jupiter by Friday. I have a big game that I can’t afford to miss.”

    “Oh, I love games! What kind of game?” he asked, studying the screen.

    “Capture the Flag,” I said. “Our camp is playing against the other camp I was telling you about— Camp Halfblood. And it’s kind of important that I’m there, so…” I stared at him, hopefully. If he refused to help me or didn’t show up on Friday, I didn’t know what I’d do. How would I explain to Nemesis?

    “Don’t worry about a thing, Miss Holmes,” the Doctor said assuringly, running around the table and pressing more buttons. “This is a time machine. I can take you anywhere in time or space!”

    He looked straight at me, a curious look on his face. And then I realized what he was implying.

    “Just London today and Camp Jupiter on Friday will do,” I said with a small smile. “For now.”

    He grinned.

    “So, how did you find out you were a demigod, anyway?” he said, leaning against the console. I soon found myself describing what it was like being a demigod; the variances between the camps, the powers different demigods possessed, the longing each of us had to be claimed. It was so easy to talk to him, I felt like I could tell him anything. And I almost did. Amy and Rory stopped talking and listened to me as I told him all about the Twelfth Legion and how I was an outcast for being the daughter of Minerva.

    “Minerva is the virgin goddess, isn’t she?” Rory cut in. I nodded.

    “That’s why they don’t really appreciate my presence at Camp Jupiter,” I said, lowering my eyes.

    “But, if Minerva and Athena are the same and Athena is not a virgin goddess, why does it matter? And if it does matter, why didn’t she just leave you at Camp Halfblood?” the Doctor asked.

    “I’ve been asking that question all my life,” I said, “But the simple answer is, I don’t know.”

    “So how did you find out that Sherlock was your da?” Amy asked, breaking the silence.

    “Nemesis, the goddess of Revenge, came to me and told me,” I replied. A split second later I realized I should’ve held my tongue.

    “The goddess of Revenge?” the Doctor said, frowning.

    “Yes, but don’t worry, everything worked out greatly,” I exclaimed a little too quickly.

    “Oh?” the Doctor said.

    “Yes,” I said, crossing my arms again.

    “Cecilia, the gods are tricky and only care about themselves,” the Doctor said slowly. “If they weren’t so helpful in protecting Earth I would’ve dealt with them a long time ago, but please don’t think they are perfect, all-knowing beings whose will is accepted as law throughout the universe. And don’t think that whatever deal you’ve made with the goddess of Revenge will leave you unscarred.”

    His words frightened me, but I kept myself stoic.

    “Don’t worry about me, Doctor, I know what I’m doing,” I said, coldly. “She gave me a fortune cookie with my dad’s name on it. All I have to do in return is win the Capture the Flag game I was telling you about.”

    “And if you don’t win?” he asked.

    “I will win, Doctor,” I exclaimed firmly, furrowing my eyebrows. “I’m the daughter of two of the most brilliant minds in the universe. I have never lost a game in my life and there’s no way I’m losing to the Greeks on Friday,” I let myself relax, “Please don’t worry. I have it under control.”

    The three travelers were silent.

    “You’re truly fascinating, Cecilia,” he murmured, studying me as intently as he had been studying the screen.

     And then the TARDIS’s engine suddenly quieted.

    “We’re here,” he said, walking toward the door.

    “That was quick,” I said, just behind him.

    “What exactly do you plan on saying to him?” the Doctor said, facing me. I shrugged.

    “I didn’t think I would ever actually meet him,” I replied. “Now that I’m here, I guess I’ll just… let it happen.”

    The Doctor nodded.

    “Well, you step outside this door and you’re on Baker Street. His address is 221B,” he said. “I’ll be right here Friday morning to take you back.”

    I paused beside him.

    “Thanks,” I said, looking down.

    “You’re welcome, Cecilia Holmes,” he said with a smile. “Now go out there and… and… meet your dad!”

    He pulled open the doors and stepped aside to let me through.

    “Thank you, Doctor,” I said again, and I wished I could fully express how much I appreciated his help. But my awe and admiration left me speechless, so without another word, I stepped out onto the streets of London, with nothing but my phone in my pocket, the clothes on my back, and the hope that a time-traveling alien wouldn’t leave me stranded.

    But the Doctor was too good for that.

    I looked back. The Doctor stood with Amy and Rory just behind him. He waved. I waved back.