Chapter 65

I was distracted the next day, thinking about Snorri's words. It was disturbing, having someone other than Claude know who I really was, and why I was there. I only saw him at meal times, but those three times a day were almost too nerve wracking for me. After all, how was I supposed to know if I could trust him?

I finally confided in Claude after lunch, and he assured me that Snorri was black and white. If he said he wouldn't tell anyone, then he wouldn't, simple as that. I was relieved, even if Claude seemed as disturbed as I was when I first found out.

After that, I was finally able to snap back to reality, and I fully comprehended that it was Tuesday. I only had three more days to complete the task. My time was running out.

We had a couple hours of free time during the afternoon before dinner, so I decided to put one of my few plans that I actually thought might work into action.

After I "looked at" the control panel and wiring of the rock wall, I went to find Armin. He was not too far away in the Arena, fencing with his siblings again.

"Hey Armin," I said cheerfully after he won another match.

"Oh hey," he said, glancing me over. He tried to smile, but there was some sort of confusion in his eyes.

"What's up?" he asked slowly, crossing his arms as he turned away from the mat to face me.

"Nothing," I said, "I was just wondering... well, do you know if there has ever been a record for the rock wall?"

"Like, who's made it up the fastest?" he said.

"Yeah," I said, trying to sound enthusiastic.

"Yes, and I believe the Ares' Cabin has it," he said with pride.

"Really? What's the score?"

"I... don't know, actually," he said, scratching the back of his head. I smirked.

"What's your fastest time, then?" I asked.

"I... don't know that either!"

"Really?" I smiled as he shook his head no. "Want to find out?"

He grinned, slowly.

"Sure!"

I turned and ran toward the exit, and I heard him following me.

"Hey, uh, Sherlock?"

I looked over my shoulder at him. He ran to catch up to me, meeting my gaze for a moment before dropping it to the ground.

"Yes?"

"Uh, well, I was just wondering... after yesterday... I don't know, I thought you might be mad at me and my siblings. Are you?"

I tried to hide my smirk.

"You shouldn't really be asking a daughter of revenge that, now should you?" I deadpanned.

"Oh. Yeah. Good point."

I snorted and shook my head.

"No, Armin, I'm not mad at you," I said, pushing him in the arm. My stomach twisted.

It was the truth. I wasn't mad at him. I didn't hate him.

We walked up to the rock wall and my heart sank.

Yet I am still going to do this.

"Whatcha guys up to?"

I looked back to see Harle running up to us, wearing purple shorts and a yellow t-shirt. Behind her came a crowd of Armin's siblings from the Arena, who must've overheard us or something. I clenched my teeth, trying not to feel frustrated.