Chapter 6

"You... what?" Frank said, his eyes wide. The marching of the soldiers leaving morning muster was loud, so I decided to wait before repeating myself. Hazel ran up to us, looking from me to the Praetors in confusion.

"What's going on?" she said, looking at me.

"I found out who my dad is," I stated formally, somehow managing to contain my excitement. "He is the famous British detective Sherlock Holmes."

"How do you know?" Reyna snapped.

"A god told me," I replied, glaring at her.

"Which god?" she growled.

"Does it matter?" I retorted, "The important thing is I found out who he is. And now I want to meet him."

The three leaders were silent.

"Will you deny me the chance to see meet my father face to face?" I snapped.

"Yes," Reyna said, "Because you still have six years to complete in the Legion and you're too young to go by yourself."

And then, without another word, she turned and walked away, her violet cape swirling around her. Frank glanced at me and then followed after her. I turned my head to glare at Hazel, who sheepishly shrugged. I marched after them.

"All I want is to visit him!" I shouted after her. "I'm not trying to quit the Legion! And I'm not a child, I can take care of myself!"

"Ha!" Reyna exclaimed, but that was all. I planted my feet firmly on the ground, my eyes narrowing.

"Praetor of the Twelfth Legion!" I screamed. "Face me!"

Reyna stopped and then whirled around, her face flushed with anger. Demigods and lares all around us paused to watch the scene.

"You dare command me?" she growled. "You are only a foot soldier. I am the Praetor. You will respect me!"

"But shouldn't the Praetor also respect those who are under her?" I replied, holding my head high. Reyna sighed and started to turn again.

"Wait!" I said, stepping toward her. She paused, eying me out of the corner of her eye.

"I'm sorry," I spit the words out, my heart pounding, "But you must understand why I need to see him. I've been an orphan all of my life up to this day! Please, don't deny me this! Please, Reyna, I am begging you."

Frank stood awkwardly beside her, glancing from me to her.

"She's got a point," he mumbled. Reyna glared at him.

"Well, put yourself in her shoes," Frank went on, looking at me. "If I was her... I would want to meet him, too. I think she should go."

Reyna's face went from anger to surprise. She looked back at me.

"My answer is final," she said, "And I will not reconsider, not unless you tell me which god gave you this information."

I hesitated.

"Fine," I said, not seeing what harm it could do. "I was at the Temple last night and Nemesis came to me. She is the one who told me."

Reyna's face darkened.

"Nemesis never gives anything away for free," she said in a low voice. "What did you give her? What did you trade?"

"That is none of your business!" I declared, crossing my arms. "You'll find out soon enough, anyway."

"Oh, Cecilia!" she growled. "You're so... so stubborn!"

"Well, if I may be so bold, so are you," I said, calmly. She glared at me, but then sighed, her gaze softening.

"I guess you're right," she said. "Because my answer is still no. You may not leave Camp Jupiter."

And then she walked away, Frank right behind her. I knew arguing would be useless, so I watched them walk away. There seemed to be nothing else I could do. My arms quaked and my eyesight blurred. The demigods around me murmured, which only aroused my deepest hatred. I stomped off toward my cabin, but someone stepped in front of me. He started to say something, but before the first syllable had even left his lips, I grabbed his shoulder and slammed my fist into his face. I could hardly see, but I could hear the screams of surprise and panic surrounding me. Before anyone could react, I dashed toward my cabin.