Mature content warning!!

Sean felt his anger build. No, Kaycee never told him about their past together but by some of the conversations he and Kaycee have had, Sean could tell Gabe did something unforgivable. He held his girlfriend tightly before guiding her out of the restaurant and into the car.

Once she got in the passenger seat, Sean hovered over her to put her seat back a bit so that she could rest. "I'm sorry, my love." Kaycee said with a sniffle. She could see how tense his body was and the anger in his face. All she wanted to do was take it away, but she knew Sean wouldn't let her right now.

Her boyfriend scoffed softly and cupped her face, wiping her tears softly. "Don't be. I can already tell that guy's a straight asshole. Whatever he did to you, I swear he'll pay." He said sternly. Kaycee was beginning to understand that Sean's anger was something that frightened her. She trusted that he would never take it out on her; she was more so scared for whoever pissed him off.

Judging by his silence and lack of eye contact with her, she knew he was going into another world in his head. "I've been wanting to tell you about it for a while but I didn't really have the courage to." Kaycee said, taking Sean's hand.

"If you don't want to, you don't have to. I just need you to relax right now-" He said, being cut off by Kaycee.

"I want to! I need to be honest with you." She declared. The man in front of her sat on the edge of her seat so that Kaycee could have her space. "Gabe and I were together for 4 years, basically all throughout college. He treated me great in the beginning. He liked my friends, I liked his. He was a gentleman, especially to my family which I value. He was good. Over time, I guess he got tired of me being busy with friends or studying and not really having much time for him anymore. From my perspective, I just thought of it as a 'the right person at a wrong time' situation but he thought differently." She shrugged, sighing deeply.

"He began to have me call or text him every hour if I went somewhere without him. He had my location, which turned into him just watching me completely. At first I didn't really mind it because I was so adamant on making him happy, for the relationship to work. In the last year of us dating, I had to meet with a family friend who was around the same age. We met at this small diner and were catching up until Gabe just waltzed in and started telling me off. After that, I told him how it made me uncomfortable that he not only embarrassed me, but was becoming very controlling over significant aspects of my life. That was the first day he hit me. He shoved me against a wall then choked me. He told me that I needed to obey him because he was the only one who cared."  She continued, keeping her eyes on her and Sean's intertwined hands.

He squeezed it in reassurance, waiting for her to continue. Sean sighed deeply, trying his hardest to just be there for Kaycee instead of going back in the restaurant and beating Gabe to a pulp.

"In short, he isolated me from everyone, whether it was friends or family. He deleted their contacts off my phone, sometimes even deleted pictures of them. When I could, I spoke to my mom over the pay phone or I'd sneak to Bailey's and talk to her then. It was no longer a relationship, it was hell." She finalized, going silent afterward.

"I have one question." Sean said just above a whisper, his own eyes glossed over. "Was he the reason you flinched at me? You thought I was going to hit you?" He asked.

"Yes." Kaycee replied softly. Sean felt as if someone stabbed him in the heart. There were various times where he wondered how she could have thought he was capable of doing such a thing. Now that he knew why he couldn't be upset with her. She was paranoid.

Kaycee found his silence frustrating and bothersome. Ever since she'd met Sean he'd always been open about his thoughts and this time he was silent and reserved. She let him settle with the newfound information, however, she couldn't help but think he was overwhelming himself with the thought of them being together, that she couldn't handle it.