18

"Hey, guys. Sorry we're a bit late. We went to get good champagne for our lunch this afternoon." Kylee said with enthusiasm, a green glass bottle with gold bedazzling in his hand. He was Serris' boyfriend of 5 years. Beside him entered Aaron, Sarah's boyfriend of 3 years, who smiled brightly as he greeted everyone.

The beautiful lady of the house set the last dish on the table before going to hug both of her daughters' boyfriends. "Oh, it's alright. We were just getting settled. Thank you boys." She grinned.

"Yeah and why champagne? Are we celebrating something?" Sean asked whilst putting out the utensils.

"Hell yeah! This is the first time you're bringing a woman home and she's most likely to become a new edition to the family. Speaking of, where is she?" Aaron asked, allowing his curious eyes to scan the room swiftly. Sean chuckled at his enthusiasm.

"She needed to use the bathroom before coming down. She's a little nervous." He responded with a smile as he thought of how cute his girlfriend was. Kaycee had shuffled quickly to the bathroom to relieve her bladder but to also calm herself from having a panic attack. Not only did she want Sean's family to like her, but she also wanted them to accept her.

In the midst of her anxiety on late nights where she simply couldn't sleep, she'd think of Sean and the future they could have together. She pondered on the small things like the vacations they'd take and potential arguments they'd have; then slightly more significant things like when they'd eventually move in together, but something Kaycee could never wrap her head around was meeting his family. It drove her crazy when she wouldn't stop the spiral it led her down like, researching the compatibility of their two lifestyles and backgrounds. She'd look at the charts and graphs of the statistics and read some people's personal stories about their experiences, some good and others bad.

Kaycee took a few calming breaths while straightening her dress nervously. "You can do this." She told herself, opening the door before she could shrivel in fear again.

The aromas coming from the kitchen and dining room filled her nostrils again as she worked her way down the stairs steadily. Muffled laughter led her to the family, her strides small yet defined. As if he sensed her, Sean looked to the entrance of the dining room, smiling instantly as her pale skin came into view.

Kaycee's hazel eyes immediately found his, a timid smile on her features. A chuckling Kylee noticed Sean's sudden fixation on something to his left so he followed, leading his eyes to settle upon her. Slowly, the realization spread to everyone and there Kaycee stood, shy as ever. A blush darkened on her cheeks as she saw the genuine smile on Sean's lips, causing him to chuckle.

"Well, family," Sean started, rising from his seat and walking over to his girlfriend. "This is my girlfriend, Kaycee Rice. It took her a lot to be here so please be mindful of your stares..." He pleaded with his eyes to his relatives.

"Oh don't worry, it's fine. I'm just happy to be here honestly. It's nice to meet all of you." Kaycee smiled with a shrug. Sarah and Serris shared a look of admiration at her words. Sean's mother rose from her seat and slowly examined Kaycee as she stalked closer to her figure.

She was small just like Kaycee. They shared the characteristic of being petite, yet luminously graceful. Kaycee was surprised to be pulled in by her with a tight hug. "My son never stops talking about you. Thank you for joining us." She whispered only loud enough for Kaycee to hear.

The younger woman felt herself swoon. Sean repeatedly reminded her how much she meant to him without even trying. "The pleasure is all mine." She responded, welcoming the woman's comforting embrace. Sean felt his stomach flip with excitement at his mother embracing his treasure. Strong was a word that couldn't even amount to the way his feelings were for Kaycee, so to see their beaming smiles while they talked with one another, it was an ultimate bliss.