26

The repeated screams to call 911 were faint to Sean as he ran to her limp body. He felt as if his world stopped. Even the woman who apologized relentlessly that she didn't see the girl she hit. She claimed she wasn't paying attention with her phone clutched in her hand. Sean dismissed her.

"Kaycee, no no no. Stay with me, okay, baby? Help is on the way." He consoled her, trying to stay calm. He could see the fear in her eyes.

"I-I'm s-scared, S-Sean." She said just above a whisper. The statement broke him, but he tried his best not to cry for her. "I know, angel. You're gonna be fine. The sirens, do you hear them?"

"Th-they're for me?" Her voice cracked as she tried to speak. Sean couldn't speak without sobbing so he simply nodded. She closed her eyes, laying limp in arms.

"Kayc, you have to keep your eyes open. Just hold on to me, okay?" He said, allowing his tears to flow.

"I lo...love y-you." Kaycee cried while reaching for his hand. Sean grabbed hers and interlocked their fingers. Just then, the ambulance pulled up beside them, a team instantly jumping out the back with a gurney.

"I love you too, Kaycee. More than anything, I love you." He said as she lifted onto the gurney carefully. "Sir, would you like to ride with her? Are you family?" The EMT asked him. He had a blond buzz cut and sympathetic green eyes.

"Of course. I'm Sean, her boyfriend." He responded, climbing into the truck after Kaycee was put in. He sat on the side, taking her hand and squeezing it gently. After a few moments, she squeezed back, making him crack a smile behind his sorrow.

Sean stared at her now pale face, the rosiness in her cheeks dissipated. His other hand covered the other side of hers, stroking the back of it soothingly. Just as he calmed his heart, machines began to beep expeditiously and amplified themselves in Sean's ears.

"Sir, we need you to separate yourself." The man said before turning to his team of two other EMTs. "She can't breathe and she's losing a lot of blood from head trauma. Call the hospital and tell them she'll need to go into immediate surgery." He ordered while turning up her oxygen and putting a temporary IV in her arm.

All Sean could do was sit and stare as his girlfriend was fading from the world. He couldn't fathom the heartache. How would he tell anyone? Not allowing himself to dwell on it, he hurriedly whipped out his phone and dialed Devon's number.
~~

"I came as soon as I heard. Is she okay?" Julian asked, running up with a teary eyed Bailey clinging onto him with Sam following behind them. Despite Sean's state, Julian hugged him tightly. He knew how much he loved his girlfriend. Everyone knew.

"She's in surgery. She lost a lot of blood and she's suffered from severe head trauma." Devon said for Sean, putting a hand on his shoulder.

"Where's the son of a bitch who hit her?! Did she even care?!" Sam asked angrily. Julian gave her a look, silently asking her to stay calm so that Sean wouldn't react. He could sense his best friend was on the brink of tears.

"Let's all just stay calm, alright? I'm sure the doctors will be out soon with an update." Laura said with a sad smile. Everyone agreed and sat down, some of them on the floor since there weren't many seats. Sean felt all of their eyes on him as he sat with his knees to his chest and his back to the wall. What he couldn't tell was if they were blaming him. He knew his father would once he found out.

Truth be told, without hesitance, Sean wanted their roles reversed. He wished he was the one on a cold hospital bed being prodded with scalpels and stitches. He wished he could take away all of her pain if possible. After everything they've been through, he just wanted to be next to her.