28

"Sean, stop walking away!" Kaycee yelled angrily. She looked at his distant figure in the dimly lit hallway.

Her boyfriend stopped in his tracks then turned to her. "What is it, Kaycee? Seriously, what do you want?" He asked in exhaustion.

Sean had just come home from a late night of work. He never minded working late, but with Kaycee still healing he was worried she'd act impulsively while he wasn't there. His fear awakened once he came through his front door and Kaycee was standing there with her arms open. By the aromas in the air— a mix of lavender and cinnamon buns, Sean gathered quickly that not only did she clean the house but she also cooked for him.

There was immediate conflict stirring away in his heart. He adored that she cared for him and acted on it instinctively, but he hated more than anything that Kaycee could get hurt.

"I want to know why you're upset at me." She replied with a small pout. Her arms crossed over her torso, which was dressed in one of Sean's black aprons.

"I'm not upset. I'm disappointed." Sean stated honestly.

"Oh, what's the difference?! Both involve you being mad at me." She exclaimed while still following after him as he navigated himself through his house. He plopped on his bed as he took his shoes off and popped a few buttons on his dress shirt.

Kaycee stood in front of him, blocking him from doing any further tasks. "Sean, I really don't know what I did. Can we talk about it?" She asked, sadness laced in her voice. Her boyfriend sighed while rubbing his face with his hands. Kaycee lowered herself to sit on her legs, now leveled with his gaze.

Her soft hands wrapped loosely around his wrists, pulling his hands away from his face. "Peek-a-boo!" She chirped, making Sean let out a slight chuckle. "Come on. Let's talk." She huffed.

He met her eyes and instantly it made Kaycee want to shower him with kisses and a million apologies. They were gloomy and, yet again, distant. "Thank you for cooking and cleaning for me, but I don't need you to do that for me. You're supposed to be resting." He stated in a low tone.

Kaycee scooted closer to him and put her hands in his. "I know, but you've been doing so much for me. I just wanted to do something for you." She shrugged.

"I get that, but dismissing your health is not okay with me." Sean said, averting his gaze. Kaycee felt her entire being melt. If she was being honest, how much he cared surprised her. She never experienced such an immense amount of passion regarding herself from other people. Nevertheless, Kaycee loved that it was Sean who felt so deeply.

"I know I said I wouldn't smother you or anything and I'm trying not to. I just wish you'd take it slow, especially if I'm not here. Letting you get hurt is not an option." Sean said, while rubbing circles on her knuckles.

"You didn't let me get hurt! How many times do I have to tell you that none of it was your fault? Even so, I feel fine! I felt good today. Cooking and cleaning was not going to push me past my limits." She said tenderly.

"Regardless, it could've, Kayc!" Sean exclaimed, raising his voice. "The odds can't always be in our favor! I need you to take your health seriously! First it was Gabe, now it's this! Stop being so stubborn!"

Tears began to form in Kaycee's eyes as it clicked in her head that Sean was not only worried, but he was scared. She wished to take away his doubts- his fears, but she knew it was impossible. Sean huffed once again, flopping backwards on the bed. His forearm covered his glossy eyes.

"That wasn't my fault." Kaycee said in her defense whilst holding back a whimper. Sean sighed, then pulled Kaycee closer by their hands that were still intertwined. "I know...I know, I'm sorry. I shouldn't have brought it up. I didn't mean to yell."