21

The chime of the bell on the door rang through the air as Bailey walked into her best friend's favorite cafe. The cool AC was refreshing and blew calmly on her exposed skin. She had come here as fast as she could when she saw Kaycee's text.

Her eyes naturally scanned the room for her. Once she found her, her eyes lit up in realization and soon enough her body moved across the room to her friend.

Kaycee was too deep in her phone to notice Bailey standing at the table. She examined how all of her texts were delivered, yet unread. The woman had been sending her boyfriend texts all morning, asking of his whereabouts or if he was okay or if he wanted her to do any errands for him to be helpful. She knew it wasn't gonna fix things, but she hoped it would be a start.

"Kayc." Bailey called out, putting a hand on her friend's head. The seated woman jumped when she heard her name being called and instantly stood to hug her. They squeezed each other tightly, not seeing each other in a little over a week between their busy schedules. She knew she was overreacting but she felt empty and quite literally, like shit.

"Sean's upset with me. Like really upset with me." She said, beginning to fidget anxiously. Bailey's eyebrows furrowed at her statement, surprise taking over her features. Kaycee took her silence as a sign to continue. "I've been really anxious about our relationship lately since things have been going so well. I was worried, so I started researching the averages and liabilities and all of this shit to make myself feel better about things between us. If things went wrong, I could see it coming, you know? That way I could be prepared..." She started to explain.

"But I started talking about moving back into my apartment so that I wouldn't burden him or anything."

"And he wanted you to stay?" Bailey guessed, causing her best friend to nod in response. "More than anything, but I kept pushing the stupid fucking narrative that I read in the articles. So I started to talk about it and he got pissed that I was condensing everything in our relationship to numbers and ratios. I hurt him and he told me that. Bails, you should've seen his face. If I said anymore, I think he would've cried." She sighed, sipping her iced tea.

"Damn, so what happened after that?" Bailey asked, crossing her arms.

"He just went silent for the rest of the day. It was such a good day because I met his family for the first time but then I said all those stupid things and now he won't talk to me." The distressed woman ran her hand through her hair as she watched her friend steal her bitten chocolate croissant.

"It was weird though. He still cooked me dinner and got me water before bed, but he didn't even sleep in the bed with me. He went to one of his guest rooms. Every time I tried to talk beforehand, it was like everything I said was going in one ear and out the other, not that I said much anyway. I was too scared to fuck up even more." She told her as the bell chimed again.

"So what are you going to do? You still want to be with him obviously." Bailey asked, a sympathetic look in her brown eyes.

"Hello, my babies!" Tahani chirped, hugging both of them before sitting beside Kaycee. "What'd I miss?"

Bailey explained the situation as she saw the visible exhaustion on Kaycee's face. Once everything was explained, Tahani turned to Kaycee and put a hand on her shoulder. "Kayc, I love you, but you're an idiot. I see where the both of you are coming from, but I can definitely see why he's upset."

"I know! Can you guys just help me? I don't know what to do! He hasn't been responding to my texts or picking up my calls—the few times I had courage to do so. He was gone before I even woke up this morning." Kaycee whined, leaning her head on the wall beside her.

"Here's what we do: We find him and you go talk to him. It's that simple." Tahani declared.

"You don't think he probably wants a bit of space from you. I mean, you didn't just make him upset but you hurt his feelings. He probably needs a couple more hours to cool off. And at least we know he still loves you, he clearly cares about your well being if he's still treating you nicely." Bailey added on.

This made all three women ponder on what Kaycee could do to win back Sean's heart and a chance to right her wrongs.