27

⚠️Mentions of self harm⚠️

"Sir, I'm sorry to inform you that Kaycee Rice is now dead." The doctor stated with remorse.

"We did all we could." It suddenly felt like Sean couldn't breathe. He swore his heart stopped and his palms began to sweat. He felt a hand on his back, turning to see Devon.

"It's all your fault." He spat.

"It's all your fault." Bailey said, looking at Sean in disdain.

"It's all your fault." Brad stated while hugging his wife who was sobbing in his chest.

Their voices began to overlap and soon the room was spinning and Sean couldn't escape it. 'It's all my fault.' He cried as they began to shove him around.

"It's my fault. It's all my fault." He yelled repeatedly.

Sean jolted awake from slumber, his body drenched in cold sweat. He looked around to see Julian and Bailey cuddled on the couch fast asleep and Sam with a pillow on the carpet in the same state. Tahani slept in a recliner, curled into a ball with a light snore escaping her lips.

He realized his previous visions were a dream- a nightmare. With a sigh, Sean threw the blanket off of his body and stood up. He stumbled for a few steps then steadied himself. After checking his phone, he saw it was just past 6 a.m.

Without hesitation Sean went and made himself one of Kaycee's favorite teas that she would drink to relax. His hands shook as he reached for a mug from the cabinet. He scolded himself, reassuring his mind that his girlfriend would wake soon, hoping that his mind could convince his body.

"Can't sleep?" A voice asked him. He instantly recognized it as his mother's. She'd been concerned for him so she was also part of the group that had been sleeping over at Sean's place. Being the gentleman he was raised to be, Sean let his mother take his bed while he slept on the couch.

Although the couch wasn't the most comfortable of places, simply resting in a bed reminded him too much of Kaycee. The thought of her cuddled in his arms and snuggled into his neck was far too vivid. If he proceeded to try he would've never gotten the sleep he needed. He was barely getting any now.

Sean let out a huff while pouring the hot water into the mug. "No, just a nightmare." He replied. It was impossible to not feel her concerned stare. "I'm fine, mom." He said inaudibly.

His mother frowned as she hugged him from behind. "Honey, I need you to remember to take care of yourself. Holding onto that guilt and becoming restless is not healthy. Besides, it wasn't your fault." She reassured him.

He took a deep breath to relax his tense body, proceeding to make the tea. "I'm trying." The man shrugged with a sigh. His mother kissed his cheek whilst on her tippy toes before parting from him. "I'm going back to bed. A mother's intuition woke me up." She said as she walked out the kitchen. Sean chuckled in adoration at his dear mother but drank his tea.

As the hot liquid hit his tongue, his mind instantly went to the first time he'd seen Kaycee drink it. She was drowning in cases and Sean made sure she didn't stress so they stayed up all night working together at his island. Once Kaycee was done, she made herself a mug of the tea and drank it happily.

Sean's heart felt like it was tearing bit by bit each day she didn't awaken. He missed her.

The man carried his tea and shuffled his feet to the piano room, sitting the mug on top of it as he sat on the bench. As he played any song that came to mind, he wondered if he could play the piano for Kaycee and she'd wake up—like some magical folk tale with fairy dust. Moments later, Sean began to feel drowsy. He'd almost finished the mug.