19

Mature content warning! 

The radio drowned the silence as Sean drove while Kaycee was deep in thought. The lunch went well, which she hoped, but one thing still bothered her: Sean's relationship with his dad.

It broke her heart to see Sean tense up so easily at someone else's words, words that weren't even close to the truth. It made her upset knowing he's dealt with his treatment for so long but what made her the most upset was that he never told her. It made her question if Sean was hiding it.

Her eyes fell on their hands, which were placed in her lap with hers on his. Her eyes began to water as she thought about it more, combined with everything they've worked through. 'Why couldn't he just tell me?' She thought. "What are you thinking about?" Sean asked gently, letting his thumb stroke the fabric that covered her knee.

Kaycee did a sharp intake before exhaling slowly, trying to hold back her tears. "I want to know why you didn't tell me about your dad." She blurted.

Sean sighed softly as he turned into his neighborhood. "I don't really like to talk about it." He shrugged, giving her a sympathetic look.

"So in return you hid it from me? Do you think I like to talk about my trauma with Gabe?! I still wanted to tell you, regardless of if he popped up on me or not. And I did tell you." She said pointedly, running a hand through her hair.

"I know and I appreciate that, but I didn't necessarily want to tell you." Sean stated, pulling into the driveway. Kaycee's heart dropped as she heard his statement. Once he parked, he noticed the glossiness in her eyes, instantly regretting what he said as her body swiftly left the car.

"Kayc, I didn't mean it in that way." Sean called out after his girlfriend. She unlocked the front door with her copy of his key and stormed through the house to his bedroom.

"You know what? I don't want to do this right now. Let's just drop it. It's not a big deal." She shrugged with a scoff, collapsing onto the king size bed they now shared.

"Yes it does, angel. Your thoughts mean everything to me. Just talk to me." He said softly, laying beside her on his stomach so that he could look at her. He could see how the light in her eyes was gone and the tears that were threatening to spill.

"It doesn't matter, Sean. I'll get over it." Kaycee insisted, shaking her head. Her boyfriend turned her head with his hand on her neck. "It just feels like you don't trust me. I've told and shown you a lot of where I've come from and why I am the way I am, but this one thing that has formed the person you are...you kept it from me. That's why I'm upset." She said, averting her gaze.

"I know I sound like I'm overreacting but it hurts that you didn't even want to tell me. It's frustrating because I want to help you." She declared, letting her tears fall. Sean took in everything she said and it felt like he took a bullet to the heart.

"Kaycee, I trust you. I really do. The reality of why I didn't tell you is because it fucks with me. That is probably one of the saddest aspects of my life and I didn't want you to have to deal with that." He stated, wiping her tears gently.

"That's the point. You're supposed to open up to me about your problems. I'm not just here to sit and look pretty, that's what I'm here for." Kaycee responded, putting her hand on his.

Sean sighed, his own eyes tearing up. "It's not that easy." He stated, pausing for a moment. "Kaycee, do you know how alive you make me feel? Every moment with you, I just want to stay there and laugh and smile and be with you. I didn't know how to tell you in those moments, 'hey by the way, my dad is never proud of me or satisfied with my accomplishments.' It's just not something I wanted."