11: under the mask

Warnings: toothachingly sweet

        She awoke in a room that wasn't hers, in clothes that she doesn't remember changing into. She started to panic about where she was, and how she got there. The last thing she remembered was the fire and then passing out. She sat up in the bed carefully to get a better look at her surroundings. Her body ached and her head was still pounding from the events that had happened.

        Light shone in through the split of the curtains, only giving her little hint to where she was at the moment. The room was beyond fancy. The bed she sat in was a ginormous, comfortable bed. The door creaked open, drawing her attention away from the rest of the room.

        Dottore entered without his usual jacket on and his sleeves rolled up to his upper arm. She looked at him in surprise, of how simply taking off his jacket changes his appearance so much. He walked in with a tray of food and tea. Once he noticed her sitting up in the bed he laid the tray on the dresser. "You're finally awake. I thought you'd be hungry."

        She was relieved that she was back home. She was even happier that he came to save her from the treasure hoarders. She didn't say anything, as she attempted to lift herself from her bed.  Struggling, She walked over to him and hugged him tightly, laying all of her weight onto him as she did, so she wouldn't fall over. She closed her eyes, enjoying his warmth as she hugged him tightly- as if he would slip away easily.

        "Hey you shouldn't be up, you need to rest." Dottore spoke to her gently, resting his hand on her back and the other on her shoulder as he led her back to her bed. Although he was very happy at the physical contact, he was worried about her condition. But he couldn't help but think that if getting kidnapped was all it took to have her hug him, he would have had all of it arranged in a way that wouldn't have hurt her as much.

        Once he laid her back in the bed, he sat on the side, looking at her. "You've been out for two days. I bet you have no energy."

        She stayed silent as he got up again, her gaze following. He opened the curtains, causing her to squint at the sudden brightness of the room. He brought over the tray of food, laying it on her lap. He took the pot of hot tea and poured her a cup, handing it to her too. He was sure to be gentle not to spill any drops of tea on her.

        He carefully sat on the bed, slightly faced towards her. He chuckled, gesturing to her tray. "Well eat up. I didn't make it for you to just stare at."

        She was surprised that he made it himself, instead of having one of the staff make it. She started to dig into the food, not realizing how hungry she actually was.

        He could tell she was acting strange, but he couldn't tell what was up. "Why so silent?"

        "I thought you wouldn't come for me. I just feel... sentimental right now" Her tone coming off hoarse from the lack of hydration in her throat. She took a sip of the tea to soothe it.

        His heart almost broke in half at those words. "Why'd you think I wouldn't come for you?"

        She looked away from him at the thought of it. "The fight. You said you wouldn't care if I died. It really hurt." She whispered quietly, holding her hand to her chest now. She was finally opening up to him, showing her vulnerability to him.

        "I'm sorry about all I said then. I was angry and hurt so I was trying to say anything to hurt you. I didn't mean any of it." He was pained that she thought that. "I will always come to save you." He insisted, gazing into her eyes deeply. He really meant what he said. She didn't say anything out of embarrassment, and continued to eat her food.