𝐜𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝐭𝐰𝐞𝐧𝐭𝐲-𝐧𝐢𝐧𝐞.

029| All For An Injured Hand

~K O M I S O L A~

I dreaded going home today.

I had no idea when Davies would be back but I still didn't want to go home. Something told me to just avoid going home today. That strong, irresistible instinct that made me have an inner battle with myself because where else would I go to if it weren't home?

The driver came at the appointed time. Not a minute late or too early. Without a word, I got in and pulled off my nose mask.

"Is my brother back?"

I had no idea what pushed me to ask that question but the feeling of dread and regret that consumed me immediately made me feel heavy headed.

At that point, I wished the driver would be deaf.

I thought I saw double when the driver nodded.

I blinked once. Twice. Thrice.

My palms became sweaty and my heart threatened to burst out of my ribs. My chest felt tighter each passing second and there was nothing I could do.

"Yes,"

It was official. I was screwed.

"By the way," the driver glanced up at me for a second. "Madam said I should tell you to not forget your phone at home again."

I raised a brow at his statement. How did Mother even know that I'd forgotten my phone at home?

Well, I didn't exactly forget it. I just left the packet untouched there on one side of my bed for days.

I wasn't being ungrateful. I just really wanted to avoid anything that had to do with Mother.

"We're here." The driver announced, simultaneously stepping out of the car to open the door for me.

We'd arrived at our mansion in Ethereal Estate. For a second, the possibility of Hanniel living in this same Estate with me flashed across my mind and I shook my head.

His mother owned it. It didn't mean she lived in it.

I opened the door and went straight up to my room. My breath hitched in my throat as I passed my brother's room. It felt surreal that he would be in there right now.

It'd been a long time since he left. After the whole video leak incident, Father had immediately sent him to Canada. Coincidentally, he was starting college at that time.

I gently pushed open the door to my room, to find Senior Inaya's hoodie, the sleeping phone packet and one final page of my novel, on my bed.

I closed the door behind me and walked towards my bed. I picked up the page first, followed by Senior Inaya's hoodie and made a mental note to return it to her.

I sighed to myself and began to pull of my clothes. I started with my hoodie, then my shirt and just while I was clad in my bra and school skirt, the door flung open.

"Well, look what we have here."

~H A N N I E L~

Dad was on his way here. I watched every movement of Mum's. She's been baking a lot more than usual lately.

"Give these cookies to Komisola for me tomorrow." I did a double take, staring at my mother in disbelief that those words actually just came out of her lips.

"You know her name?" I gawked.

"Why, of course yes. I like her. She's not what the public paints her to be. Negative popularity sometimes leave a stain on a person's reputation."