𝐜𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝐭𝐡𝐢𝐫𝐭𝐲-𝐟𝐢𝐯𝐞.

a double update tonight bc this chapter is short :)

035| Damned, Diamond Necklace I

~K O M I S O L A~

Forfeiting the competition gave me more peace of mind than I needed. It was official; I was not going to the Jacqueline Hennessey International Conference. Father had asked me to lay low and that was exactly what I would be doing. Running in front of a crowd? In front of more strangers?

No, thank you.

I made my way to class, the corridors and hallway very silent since everyone was out on the field. When I got to my class, my heart almost jumped out of my chest. Why?

Because a tall guy had appeared at my front, coming out from the Science class whom I recognized as Ibrahim.

He was wearing the school's customized sweatshirt, the white collar of the school shirt resting on the round neck of the sweatshirt. His hands were in his pocket and his eyes had this warm look that immediately had an effect on you.

I stepped back in fear and moved out of his way to enter the class when he called out.

"Are you Komisola? The girl who just ran on the field? I'm Ibrahim. I've always wanted to talk to you."

Last week in the ladies, I heard some female students talking about how handsome Ibrahim was and how the boys in our class were totally, in their words, hot. They also mentioned how he was an Abdelnour and how their family were born with good looks and brains.

But what surprised me wasn't the fact that the Ibrahim was here right now. What surprised me was the fact that he was talking to me and asking me questions with a smile.

I had to point to myself to ask, "Me?"

"Yes," he nodded. There was something really cool about him. Like he was really composed. "You're an amazing runner. I can't believe you beat Ameenah."

You can't believe I beat...

He couldn't believe I beat Ameenah? Meaning?

"Well, I believe." I curtly replied and was about entering class but as usual...

"Wait,"

What, what, what?

"You've competed before in CH right?"

I nodded in reply.

"Take care of yourself."

I stopped in my steps and looked up, whipping my head around only to find Ibrahim's tall figure striding down the hall. What did he just say?

Those four words were like arrows that attacked my heart and made me think all over again. It made time stop and made my eyes well up but I didn't give in. Just four words had me this miserable and frozen.

"Thank you." I said even if he was no longer here. I entered class and saw that the class was empty, only bags scattered everywhere. On tables, chairs and floors. For a second, my mind traveled to the calm looking boy I had just walked in on and I wondered what he was doing here. If he was in my class, then definitely he wasn't in this department. Why was he here when everybody wasn't?

I went to my seat and sat down, but my eyes drifted to the pink note glued to the corner of Hanniel's table.

I read the last lines. "You're not pretty boy, you're golden boy."

This was written on the day of Senior Feranmi's demise. I had seen Ameenah and Hanniel walking to class hand in hand and while Hanniel was walking, Ameenah paused to write something on a pink note on the wall and caught up to Hanniel when she was done. The guy hadn't even noticed when she plastered the note on his back. A very unobservant person he was.