𝐜𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝐟𝐨𝐫𝐭𝐲-𝐟𝐢𝐯𝐞.

045| An Unexpected Change

~K O M I S O L A~

The intoxicating stench of cigarettes filled my nostrils and made my face scrunch up in disgust. I quickened my steps, yet in a silent and cautious manner. I didn't want Davies to see me.

I didn't want to look at his face, talk less of engaging in a conversation with him.

"Komisola."

Fuck.

I froze in my steps, sighing involuntarily as my shoulders slumped.

"Komisola..." his voice called again. "Do I have to stand up and drag you from there? Don't make me repeat myself again."

Suddenly, I riled up in anger. Who did he think he was talking to me like that? He wasn't my elder brother. He'd lost that right a long time ago.

"What do you want from me, Davies?" I stomped to his room, snapping at him, but making sure not to take a step into his room.

"Watch your fucking tone with me, girl. I am still your elder brother."

Just like that, I exploded. Anger sparked in my stomach and had stirred so hard, coursing through my whole body. My eyes had widened in disbelief and my mouth was parted in shock. "Damn you for saying that, Davies Adedire! You bastard! Elder brother? You didn't know when you were touching me? You didn't know when you were groping me? Sexually harassing me like I was just a plaything to you and not your blood sister-"

"DON'T RAISE YOUR VOICE AT ME! GOD, ARE YOU DEAF?!" Davies thundered, jumping to his feet from the bed instantly. His voice boomed across the room and when he stared right back at me, I was scared by the look in his eyes.

Davies looked like he was insane.

No, I wasn't insulting him. Davies actually looked like he would lose his shit any moment from now. Bloodshot eyes glazing in fury, a broken, pathetic look on his face that contorted with rage. He looked miserable.

Like he was weak and angry. Like he was exhausted.

But he didn't have any right to that.

"You've never acted like I wanted you to! You've never done what I wanted you to do! You've always been so stubborn, so difficult..." his voice faltered at the last part.

I scoffed. I scoffed so loudly, it almost sounded like laughter. "Look at you... I feel so disgusted by you. I have always been so stubborn, that's why you scarred me for the rest of life. Tell me which girl would be happy knowing that she had to live with the truth that her brother has done things to her! Tell me which girl would be happy that no one believed her when she spoke up! You were happily living, while I was on the receiving end of every maltreatment! Father would beat me, slap me, insult me, and it was no better at school! You were busying enjoying abroad! Bastard!"

Davies didn't say anything.

I saw him shake his head, then cough profusely. I didn't feel a tad bit concerned for him right now. If anything, I was so repulsed by the sight of him.

"I have cancer, Komisola."

He said after a while. I was a fuming mess at his front, fists balled into a curl by my sides, but he didn't even seem affected at all. Instead, he chose to break a shocking news to me in the middle of this heated exchange.

My fists unfolded, dropping by my sides and I stared at him wordlessly. Davies pointed to his throat and the corner of his lips curved in a small smile.

"It could have been curable, but I didn't detect it early and now it's spread to my lymph nodes. Stage 4, and I don't think I'll survive it."

Suddenly, I scoffed. I scoffed even as my eyes welled up with tears. I scoffed because I felt so angry at my brother but at the same time...