Unceratainty

The feeling of doubt was clouding Iwaizumi's judgement. He wasn't sure what to do about Oikawa. He messaged him when he got home from school but Oikawa had left him on read. This was highly unusual for Oikawa as it was often him that was left on read in stead of the other way round.

He also wasn't sure about his girlfriend. She seemed so lovely and from what everyone else said about her, she seemed amazing. But there didn't really feel like there was much of a spark. He didn't get butterflies in his stomach when he saw her, not like he did with Oikawa.

He figured maybe it was just a matter of getting used to it and finally getting over Oikawa. But he wasn't sure how long that would take, or if that would even happen.

He texted Oikawa to ask if he was coming in to school. He received a reply minutes later, a very dry response, lacking in exclamation marks and emojis. But, at least it was a yes. Iwaizumi sighed as he continued to get ready for school.

Iwaizumi continued to think about Oikawa. Did Oikawa not like his girlfriend? Was he jealous? Maybe he wanted the girl to himself. But no, he would never risk losing their friendship and pulling away over a girl, right?

"Hey, iwa baby" his girlfriend said, kissing him on the cheek as she came out of her house. "Hey, you ready?" Iwaizumi asked, still getting the hang of talking to girls. He's only ever had a girlfriend in elementary school and he was pretty sure that didn't count.

Iwaizumi grabbed his girlfriend's hand and they both walked together in a slightly awkward silence. It never felt this awkward when he walked with Oikawa, but then again, it's not like they were ever dating.

The journey to school wasn't that long, but to Iwaizumi, it felt like hours. Normally when he walked to school it would feel like just a few seconds and he always found that he couldn't fit in everything he wanted to say when walking with Oikawa, mainly because Oikawa did most of the talking.

But still, it was nice to have something to fill in the silence. And even when it was silent between the two, it wasn't awkward, like it was with his new girlfriend. But Iwaizumi just assumed this was normal and was a common thing in relationships.

Meanwhile, Oikawa walked to school alone again. His mind was still replaying the events from the previous day and although he'd had a decent night of sleep, he felt exhausted.

He dragged his feet as he walked and was hunched over. Normally, he would be stood up tall and walking with a slight sway in his hips and a spring in his step. But he felt like all the colour inside him had been drained out and all that was left was grey.

He was dreading going into school, knowing he was going to have to avoid his best friend as much as possible. He was terrified about what might happen if he said something about the girlfriend, not that he'd get the chance anyway, as his girlfriend was always around. He considered telling Makki and Mattsun about what had happened.

He'd never told them about his sexuality, but as of the previous day, they had managed to figure out his crush on Iwaizumi, so they already knew he couldn't be straight.

Oikawa decided he would talk to them. About everything. He always used to feel guilty sharing things with other people, so he would normally keep everything to himself. And as much as Oikawa knew it wasn't healthy to bottle things up, he always knew he'd feel bad either way. The only difference being that he would feel worse in the short term if he told people and worse in the long term if he didn't.

And he would much rather feel worse in the short term, as scary as it was. And Makki and Mattsun were his friends, who he trusted and knew cared for him, even if they didn't show it that often.

Makki👹
U coming in today?

Oikawa🚪
Yeah, do you mind if I talk to you guys at lunch?

Makki👹
Of course not. Everything ok?

Oikawa🚪
Yeah, I just need to get some things off my chest

Makki👹
Well we're here to support you

Oikawa🚪
Thanks ❤️

Oikawa arrived at school soon after texting Makki. Once again, he saw Iwaizumi with his girlfriend stuck to him like chewing gum on the bottom of a shoe. The girl glared at him as she wrapped her arms around Iwaizumi's neck.

Oikawa tried to walk past them quickly before Iwaizumi saw him but he failed. "Oikawa! Where are you going?"
"Sorry Iwa-chan, I can't talk right now, I have to... go study with some girl from my class. I promised her I would so, bye!" Oikawa took off, leaving Iwaizumi dumbfounded.

Oikawa never studies at school, especially not with a girl. He'd never be able to focus with anyone around, let alone a girl. Or was he going to do something else with that girl? Was that why he was acting all weird and flustered?

Iwaizumi started to imagine all the things Oikawa might do with this girl and felt a pain in the pit of his stomach. "Baby what's wrong? Don't worry about him, I'm sure he's just in a hurry." The girl said, looking up at Iwaizumi, smiling.

"Yeah, sure." Iwaizumi said, brushing it off. He didn't know why he felt this way. He had a girlfriend now, so of course Oikawa was allowed to do things with other girls. So why did it hurt so much?

Unlike he said however, Oikawa was not going to have some study date with a random girl from his class. He ran to the bathroom and locked himself in one of the stalls. Avoiding Iwaizumi proved to be a lot harder than expected.

HEYY!! I'm really enjoying writing this story so far. I think it's one of my favourites that I've done. Obviously it's not perfect and there's probably things I'll look back on and be like "wtf why did I write that" but I'm trying to make the characters as close to their canon selves as I can, with a few head canons here and there. Thank you to those who are reading this, I hope you're doing well!! <3