Gone away

"Hey, Emiko." Iwaizumi decided to call her. Facing her in person was too scary for him. "What is it Iwaizumi?" Her voice was already bitter. They still hadn't made up from their argument and Emiko was even more pissed off with the fact that her boyfriend had spent the whole weekend with Oikawa.

"I wanted to say I'm sorry for what happened between us."
"Well yeah, you should be!" Iwaizumi was taken aback by her rudeness but managed to compose himself. "No Emiko, I'm not sorry for what I did, I did nothing wrong. But I'm sorry that it has to come to this."

"What do you mean? Of course you were in the wrong! That was a shit apology and if you expect me to forgive you now, you're mistaken! And what do you mean by 'sorry it has to come to this'?" Emiko shouted at Iwaizumi. He wasn't sure he was going to survive this phone call. He was just glad they weren't seeing each other in person.

His eyes had finally been opened to how much of a terrible person Emiko really was. Oikawa was right. This made him feel even worse for leaving in the way that he did. Of course Oikawa had done nothing wrong. He had every right to not tell Iwaizumi something. Maybe he was just like Emiko. Maybe he wasn't even worthy of being Oikawa's best friend.

Iwaizumi zoned out, thinking about Oikawa as Emiko continued to shout at him. He was brought back to reality when he heard Emiko mention the name of the one person he was thinking about.

"Emiko, leave Oikawa out of this. He's done nothing wrong. Look, I'm gonna say this in the nicest way possible because even though you're a bitch and deserve this, I'm not a horrible person. Emiko, as much as I have loved being with you, I think it's time to break up."

There was silence for a moment. Iwaizumi couldn't hear a thing and was about to ask if she was ok when suddenly, he heard a quiet noise. A noise that sounded like... laughing? The noise got louder and louder and Iwaizumi felt chills through his spine as she was in hysterics, laughing like a maniac.

"Oh Iwaizumi. You do crack me up. You think you can break up with me just like that?" Iwaizumi was silent, his eyes wide and his throat dry. He couldn't believe this was happening. He really did think it would be as easy as just breaking up with her and leaving it at that. But things were about to get a lot more complicated.

...

"Tooru, hurry up or you'll be late for school." Tooru's mother called out to him. He was just finishing up his breakfast and had been swirling his cereal around in his bowl for the past five minutes. He couldn't stop thinking about Iwaizumi.

He needed to come up with a solution and in his head, there was only one that seemed reasonable to him. He needed to confess to Iwaizumi.

But he knew it would take a lot of courage. He'd liked him for years and had been his best friend for longer. He didn't want to lose his best friend, but it seemed like a likely situation either way.

If he didn't confess, Iwaizumi would think he didn't trust him. Oikawa was an awful liar so he couldn't just make something up because Iwaizumi would know he was lying and think he trusted him even less. Confessing might be his only option. At least he would be truthful and Iwaizumi would see why he couldn't tell him.

But first, Oikawa would make sure to talk to Makki and Mattsun first, to get both their opinions and support.

Oikawa dashed out the door and headed off to school. He assumed that Iwaizumi had left already,  as he hadn't received any messages and it seemed as though Iwaizumi was still mad at him. Oikawa wondered if he had broken up with Emiko yet. He said today would be the day. Oikawa didn't want to rush into confessing right after the breakup. Iwaizumi would need time to heal. But he also didn't want to wait too long. Fear of loosing his best friend increased by the minute.