Forget me nots

"Okay, so his favourite snacks are strawberries, pocky, popcorn - specifically toffee flavoured, and chocolates."
"Thanks Makki. Did you manage to find out his favourite flowers too?"
"Yeah... forget me nots."
"Forget me nots!? How the hell am I supposed to find those in a store. He couldn't have chosen roses or tulips? Of course not! He had to choose forget me nots!"
Iwaizumi started to rant about the flowers while Makki giggled. "What's going on guys" Mattsun said, joining the conversation.
"Oikawa's favourite flowers are forget me nots and Iwaizumi has finally snapped." Mattsun started laughing too as Iwaizumi continued rambling on about different flowers and why he couldn't have chosen them instead.

"Iwaizumi calm down!" Mattsun said, still laughing. "Why don't you just go and pick some?" Iwaizumi stopped yelling and paused to consider his idea. "But where the hell are we going to find somewhere forget me nots grow!? I don't think I've even seen them in person before.

"Oh come on, they're not that uncommon! You just have to look." They started walking towards the fields at school, hoping to find some there. Iwaizumi wasn't even sure what they looked like so he had to look them up on Google. In fairness, they were very pretty.

Oikawa was currently having a meeting with a teacher which meant they had plenty of time to look for them. They walked up and down the fields, searching for the tiny blue flowers but none were found. "If we don't find any here, we can always meet up after school and look?" Mattsun suggested.
"Yeah, sounds like a good idea. If I'm honest, I don't think we're going to find any here." Iwaizumi had started to lose hope, not sure if he'd ever find them. He might just have to settle for roses.

"Hey guys, what are you looking for?" Iwaizumi jumped as he heard the voice from behind him. "Oikawa, your meeting finished already?"
"Yeah, we didn't talk for very long but it was still helpful. Anyways, what are you guys doing?"
"Uhh nothing, well-"
"Mattsun lost his key chain." Makki said, sneakily taking a keychain from Mattsun's pocket.

"Oh ok, do you want help looking?"
"Oh look, there it is." Makki ran over to a nearby bush and pretended to pick up the keychain.
"Here you are Mattsun." He handed the keychain back to Mattsun with a wink.

"Anyways, we should get going. I should imagine class should start soon." Mattsun said. Iwaizumi discreetly gave the two a thumbs up and made a mental note to thank them later. Oikawa didn't seem suspicious of the incident, being focussed on Iwaizumi rather than Mattsun's lost keychain.

"So Iwa, you gonna tell me what you have planned for the weekend yet?" Oikawa said with a smile, batting his eyelashes dramatically. "No, and stop doing that, you look like a puppy on steroids."
"I remind you of a puppy? So you think I'm cute Iwa?" Oikawa said with a smirk which soon faded once he realised he'd accidentally flirted with him.

Iwaizumi kept his eyes on the floor as they walked, trying desperately to prevent his face from turning red. He could feel his ears heating up already. Luckily, Oikawa was too focussed on not turning red himself that he didn't notice.

There was only two days left for Iwaizumi to clear the rest of the garden and gather everything he needed. Luckily, he already had an old projector and screen which he would use for the movie. He'd also rented the movie already which didn't cost much.

As soon as Iwaizumi got home, he messaged Makki and Mattsun, asking where they should meet. They soon replied, saying to meet them at the park since there was a huge field there. The second hunt of the day for forget me nots would soon begin.

Three minutes into the search and Iwaizumi was already contemplating giving up. "Ugh come on Iwaizumi, we're here now, we might as well try." The boys kept walking around the field searching for the little blue flowers. They mostly saw daisy's, dandelions and buttercups but did manage to see a few bluebells and tulips. No forget me nots so far.

"What are we even searching for again, I forgot." Mattsun joked. "Forget me n- oh" Iwaizumi realised and gave a fake laugh. They'd been walking around for 20 minutes now and Iwaizumi's legs ached. "Don't you think we'd have more luck in a forest?" Makki asked, yawning. "Yeah, but this is the best we can do for today. If we had more time then maybe we could have gone to a forest."

"Yeah, and I've got a good feeling this park is a lost cause." Iwaizumi said wearily.
"Let's keep looking for a bit longer and if there's nothing, then you might just have to buy him some flowers instead."
Iwaizumi had a feeling this had been coming, and he didn't like it.

They kept searching for a little while longer until the sun started to set. "Guys we should probably stop now." Iwaizumi said in defeat.
"Well, we tried. Roses it is."
"Well at least they're romantic."

"Thanks guys for helping me look, even if it was a lost cause." Iwaizumi said, forever grateful for his friends' help. "No problem. We're desperate for this to finally happen so we'll basically do anything." Mattsun said with a chuckle.

Iwaizumi decided to check on the garden when he got home. He wasn't entirely sure why, but his gut was telling him to. He figured maybe some of the weeds had grown back already since he hadn't done a very good job of getting the roots out. He'd only made it so that the weeds would temporarily be gone and since he didn't know much about gardening, he wasn't sure how long it would take for them to grow back.

He trudged out to the garden and checked all around. He got to the back, just near the shed, when something caught his eye. Something blue. "Wait..." Iwaizumi said out loud, not believing what his eyes were seeing.

"AHHHAHA" Iwaizumi exclaimed out loud, immediately covering his mouth. He hadn't meant to be so loud and he was pretty sure his neighbours would have heard that. The one thing he'd been searching for all day was right under his nose the whole time. Iwaizumi felt both relieved and annoyed at this, knowing that he'd spent all day searching for some flowers that had been in his garden the entire time.

He gathered up the forget me nots and put them in a jar full of water to avoid accidentally ripping them out of the ground in frustration when doing the gardening the next day. He put the vase of flowers in the corner of his bedroom as if it were his most prized possession. Now that he'd finally found some, he was not about to let them get damaged of taken.

Iwaizumi's whole body ached from all the walking around he'd done that day. But from the happy feeling inside him, he knew it was worth it. Anything was worth seeing Oikawa's dorky smile. He couldn't wait to tell the others the good news.

Iwaizumi kicked off his shoes and sank into his bed. The only things he had left to do now was to set up the garden and buy the snacks. He contemplated taking the next day off school to give him more time but figured he could do it regardless. Almost all the weeds were gone and the decorations probably wouldn't take that long to put up. He would probably have a little bit of time on the day before Oikawa arrived too.

God he was nervous, but his excitement was even greater.

I'm so sorry I didn't realise how long it had been since I updated last. You guys are so awesome for putting up with this. Anyways, I know forget me nots might seem kinda random but they're one of my favourite flowers - cute and simple. So I thought Oikawa might like them too. I didn't want to just make it roses cos that's kinda boring lol (I have nothing against them but they're easily bought and I wanted to torture Iwaizumi 😂) Anyways I hope you guys are okay and aren't too tired of my bs 😂