Growth and repair

TW! Homophobia

The rest of the day went by quite fast for Oikawa, still thinking about what his amazing friends had said to him. He packed up his things after his last lesson and went to leave for volleyball practice. He'd forgotten about it for most of the day and he was looking forward to another opportunity of seeing his best friend without getting in the way.

As he was leaving the classroom, he bumped into someone. His expression turned into one you would likely see in a horror movie when he saw who it was. "Watch where you're going, f****t." She whispered that last word in his ear and it was enough to drain all colour from Oikawa's face.

He looked around to see if anyone had heard but thankfully, no one was near enough. Oikawa had given up trying to hide his emotions at this point and as he walked off, he let tears escape once again. He went to the bathroom first so he could calm himself down.

What was that girl's problem? Oikawa had been trying his best to be on her good side for his best friend's sake but he didn't seem to be making any progress. This just upset Oikawa more. Even though he was trying his best to be likeable, it still wasn't enough. Why wasn't he enough.

He locked himself in one of the stalls and continued to let the hot tears run down his cheeks. His eyes were almost sore from all the crying he'd done in one day. After a few minutes of taking deep breaths and rubbing his temples, he heard his phone buzz.

Mattsun🤓
Hey, r u coming to practice?

Alien nerd👽
Yeah, I'll be there soon

Mattsun🤓
Ok, c u in a bit

Oikawa came out from the stall he'd been crying in and splashed water on his face at the sink. He found it refreshing and it helped to cover up the fact that he'd been crying.

He arrived at the gym in no less than a few minutes. Iwaizumi seemed worried at first but played it off by smacking Oikawa for being late. "Ow! How can you be so mean to me?" Oikawa whined, folding his arms. "Next time you're late, I'll whoop your ass." Iwaizumi remarked.

They soon got started with practice, Oikawa mainly practicing his sets and serves and Iwaizumi with his spikes, blocks and occasionally receives.

Once practice was over, Iwaizumi and Oikawa left to walk home together. There was a comfortable silence between the two until Iwaizumi spoke up. "So, what do you think of my girlfriend?" He asked, almost nervous to receive Oikawa's opinion.

Oikawa almost froze at the question. He wasn't quite sure what to say. "She- she seems... nice?" Oikawa said, almost as a question. "Nice? Is that all?" Iwaizumi asked, a little bit hurt.

"Well, I don't really know her that well. As long as she makes you happy then she's cool with me." Oikawa said. He wished what he was saying were true, but if he was being honest with himself, he didn't like her at all. But he could never tell Iwaizumi that. It's not like she was that bad anyway, all he needed to do was give them some space. As long as she didn't ruin Oikawa's relationship with his best friend then everything would be fine. Sort of.

The two fell back into another comfortable silence until they reached their houses. They said their goodbyes and as soon as Oikawa stepped through the door to his house, he ran upstairs and collapsed onto his bed.

He knew he wouldn't be able to sleep very well that night but luckily he didn't have school the next day. He thought about asking Iwaizumi if he wanted to hang out the next day.

Oikawa
Heyy, u free tomorrow?

Iwa-chan
Sorry, I'm with my girlfriend this weekend. Maybe next weekend?