Stronger together

Tw!: homophobic slurs

Iwaizumi walked to school by himself the next morning. Not only had he messed things up with his best friend, but now his girlfriend too. He felt so alone as he walked, seeing others in front of him walking with their friends or holding hands with their lovers.

He wasn't even sure what he wanted anymore. In a way, it was kind of a relief to not have Emiko glued to his side 24/7, as he was getting pretty tired of spending every second with her. Lately, she'd been more demanding and he found that when they went out for dates, it was always him paying. Not that he minded but it made him wonder if she was just using him. Or could this just be the way girls are?

Iwaizumi's lack of experience with girls brought him to no conclusion, so thoughts continued to swirl around his head. He thought about Oikawa too and what he could do to make things up to him. This was much easier to think about as Iwaizumi knew Oikawa all too well. And what Oikawa needed right now was space, but a gift wouldn't hurt.

He made the decision to buy something for Oikawa after school and possibly something for his girlfriend too, not that he had much money left after paying for all the dates. If anything, making up with Oikawa was more important to Iwaizumi at that moment, so he would make him his top priority and then focus on his girlfriend after.

Iwaizumi felt he could put his mind at rest for now, having come up with a solution. He would take things on one thing at a time rather than trying to tackle all his problems at once. And Oikawa was first on the list.

Iwaizumi arrived at school to see Oikawa with Makki and Mattsun. He almost went over to them but remembered he was supposed to be giving him some space. Mattsun glared at him as he walked past making Iwaizumi feel guilty. Oikawa must be really upset about this.

He saw Emiko too who was talking with some other girls. She too glared at him as he walked past and proceeded to whisper something in one of the girl's ears while maintaining eye contact with the poor boy.

Iwaizumi walked to class alone, just as he'd walked to school alone. He didn't have any other close friends apart from the other team members, but he didn't have any classes with them.

He knew it would only be a matter of time before Oikawa would talk to him again, he just needed to hold on until then. He sat down in class and got on with his work. Having Emiko away from him actually meant he could concentrate a lot better and actually do the work he was assigned.

His morning lessons were over in a flash and it became linch time. Iwaizumi didn't have anyone to sit with so he went and found an empty bench outside and sat down by himself.

"Is that Iwaizumi over there?" Makki said to Oikawa. "I think so, but why is he alone?"
"Maybe they had a fight" Mattsun guessed.

Oikawa was tempted to go over to him. He looked so sad and although he was meant to be mad at his best friend, he also wanted to comfort him if he was having trouble. "I'm gonna go over to him and maybe talk to him. You guys stay here."

"You sure you don't want us to come with you?" Makki asked, slightly concerned for Oikawa.
"Thanks but I think it's best I talk to him alone." And with that, Oikawa made his way over to the lonely boy. He was nervous but he knew he couldn't be mad at him forever.

As Oikawa approached the bench, Iwaizumi looked up, surprised. "Hey, mind if I sit?"
"Oh h-hey, no of course not! What are you doing here, I thought you were mad at me." Iwaizumi didn't know why, but there was a lump in his throat and he was struggling to hold back tears.

"Look, you messed up, but I don't like seeing my best friend so sad. And whatever happened with Emiko, I'm sure that wasn't your fault. But whatever happens, I'm here for you." Iwaizumi couldn't hold back the tears anymore and started crying.

Oikawa went over to him and wrapped him in his arms, rubbing his back. Iwaizumi buried his head in Oikawa's neck, not caring in that moment if he looked stupid or vulnerable. All he wanted was to be as close to Oikawa as possible and for this moment to last forever.

Oikawa wanted the same and Iwaizumi stayed in his arms for a while. They had always been very physical with each other whether it was hugs or playful slaps or punches. Sometimes when they were younger, they would cuddle up together on the sofa, wrapped in a blanket like a large burrito. Iwaizumi would always pretend to be annoyed with Oikawa's constant cuddling but he secretly loved it.

"So, are we still on for this weekend?" Oikawa's question bringing Iwaizumi back from his thoughts. "Of course, but only if you want to."
"Oh Iwa, I've missed you so much." It wasn't often that the two would fight. Sure they would have little disputes and play fights all the time but nothing that would cause tension between the two.

They continued to eat lunch together, Oikawa's hand staying out on Iwaizumi's shoulder the whole time. To others, they may have looked like a couple, which was why when Emiko saw them, her face burned red with rage. "I bet that f****t is really enjoying this." She angrily muttered to herself.

She began to regret shouting at Iwaizumi and being mad at him because it meant Oikawa could take advantage of the situation and make up with Iwaizumi. She needed a new plan to get Oikawa out of the picture for good, but maybe she would need some help. She had no idea what to do, all she knew was that she had to make up with Iwaizumi and put her own stuck up feelings aside.

Oikawa and Iwaizumi had a class together after lunch so they both walked together, linking arms like they used to as kids. Iwaizumi was over the moon. He had completely forgotten about Emiko and in fact, realised then and there that things were a lot better before Emiko showed up.

But he couldn't just break up with her, he didn't want to hurt her and maybe as a result, she would try to hurt Oikawa. Would she really go that far though? Iwaizumi wondered to himself. And besides he needed to stay with her so his feelings for Oikawa would disappear.

This made Iwaizumi feel slightly guilty. Was he actually the one using her? Using her as a distraction from his huge crush on his best friend that wouldn't seem to go away no matter how hard he tried? But he really did love Emiko, right?

Iwaizumi felt almost a stabbing sensation in the pit of his stomach when he thought about how he would eventually have to make up with Emiko. He wasn't sure why. He loved her so why was it so painful to be with her? However, it hurt even more to think about the possibility of Oikawa getting a girlfriend, that was, assuming he was straight.

In Iwaizumi's mind, it was likely too, considering how many fangirls he had, surely he was bound to date one of them. But it was unfair for Iwaizumi to feel like that. He had a girlfriend and he and Oikawa weren't together so he had no right to feel the twinge of jealousy he did when the thought came to his head.

Iwaizumi spent a lot of time in his own head that day. But this time, he had Oikawa to bring him back down to earth. It was so refreshing for Iwaizumi to have him back. Oikawa was someone Iwaizumi could just be himself around and he never felt that Oikawa would judge him for anything.

I'm fact, he thought Oikawa probably wouldn't even judge him if he told him about his crush but he knew he couldn't take any chances. He didn't want to ruin their friendship and he needed to remember that he was still with Emiko. But he was so conflicted that he wasn't sure what to do.

He didn't want to stay with Emiko just to use her as a distraction because that would be cruel. But as long as he loved her, then there's nothing wrong with it. Right?

Iwaizumi tried not to let the thoughts get into his head too much. After all, he had faced one victory today and it was the best outcome he could have hoped for.

Hiii!! Wow my brain is swirling with ideas! I wanted to give Oikawa a break from all the angst, and Iwaizumi too. As stupid and oblivious as he is, he deserves a break. (Also, no hate to Iwaizumi, I do love him 😂) but anyways, consider this the calm before the storm, the angst isn't over yet 😈. Anyways, have a lovely day!! I love you all ❤️❤️