Space

TW! Mentions of homophobia

Oikawa waited inside the bathroom stall until the bell rang. He made a dash for his classroom, hoping he wouldn't see Iwaizumi or his girlfriend on the way. Luckily, he only had one class with Iwaizumi and the girl wasn't in it, so she wouldn't see them talking.

Oikawa didn't want to ruin Iwaizumi's relationship with the girl, even if she was mean to Oikawa, as long as his best friend was happy, he was happy- sort of. It didn't stop Oikawa from panicking about the girl threatening him or the potential of losing his best friend.

Oikawa was thankful he had friends such as Makki and Mattsun. They don't talk about serious topics often but when they do, the pair are excellent listeners. He knew he could count on those two to cheer him up, he just had to get through the day.

Oikawa slumped down in his seat, waiting for his first class to begin. He thought about the girl some more and decided he wasn't going to let her bring him down. He was sure she was just being overprotective and would soon calm down if Oikawa backed off a little bit. He figured they should probably be given some space anyway. Then maybe the girl would warm up to him.

All Oikawa wanted was for Iwaizumi to be happy, as long as their relationship wasn't toxic, he'd leave them be. And even though it pained Oikawa to watch the man he loved fall in love with someone else, it was worth it to see the smile on Iwaizumi's face.

With Oikawa's frame of mind being seemingly better, he had less trouble losing focus on his work. His work was very important to him and Oikawa was smart and took pride in his good grades.

The lesson flew by and before he knew it, it was time for his next lesson, the one he had with Iwaizumi. He wasn't necessarily nervous, just unsure of what was going to happen.

He walked into the classroom to find Iwaizumi already sat in his seat. This time, he wasn't on his phone, and was looking straight at Oikawa. "Hey, Oikawa, is something wrong?" Oikawa was taken aback slightly by the straightforwardness of his question.

"Not really, I was just in a rush this morning and I also figured I should give you and your girlfriend some space." Oikawa said, only half honest.
"That's... surprisingly nice of you. Thanks Oikawa." Iwaizumi said, smiling at him, which gave Oikawa butterflies.

"No problem Iwa-chan!" He said, grinning back. It seemed like things had almost gone back to normal between the two. Almost- because Oikawa still had the weight of the threat on his shoulders and was still being cautious.

But Oikawa felt better after the lesson. Being able to talk to his best friend normally felt nice. They even laughed a few times and Oikawa felt slightly more at ease. He always felt comfortable around Iwaizumi, even when he was troubled.

They parted ways once the lesson had ended and Oikawa went off to search for Makki and Mattsun. He found them at their usual table. It was a nice spot, sectioned off from everyone else but it still provided a good view of everyone.

"Hey guys." Oikawa said, looking visibly brighter than he had the previous day. The two boys picked up on this. "You're looking happier today. Have a lesson with your Iwa-chan?" Makki teased. "Hey! You know he's not 'mine', he has... someone else now." Oikawa said, his smile faltering slightly.

"You said you wanted to talk to us?"
"Oh... right. Can we eat first, I'm starving." Oikawa asked, not admitting that he was nervous. "Sure." Mattsun said, his stomach growling.

Oikawa took his time eating and when he was done, he cleared his throat. "So... you guys figured out my feelings towards iwa-chan."
"To be honest, we'd known for a while."
"Yeah you were pretty obvious." The two teased, chuckling. But when they saw Oikawa wasn't laughing too, their laughter disintegrated.

"I know I never told you this but, I'm gay. I'm sure you could have guessed my sexuality but I wanted to tell you anyways."
"Well, we actually thought you were bi, since you always flirt with your fan girls. But, thanks for telling us." Makki said, reaching out his hands to hold Oikawa's.

"I-" Oikawa was started, but was interrupted by a stream of tears that had been threatening to come out for longer than he'd realised. "Iwaizumi's girlfriend. Sh-she threatened me. She found out about my feelings for Iwaizumi and did if I didn't back off... she'd- she'd go around telling everyone." Oikawa managed between sobs.

Oikawa hated crying in front of people and Makki and Mattsun knew this, so they knew it must be serious if Oikawa was doing just that. "She... called me a gay freak." He said the last two words in almost a whisper, but it was loud enough for the two to hear.

The boys could feel their anger levels rising, their blood boiling. Mattsun stood up angrily. "No! Please don't go over there. I don't want to ruin Iwaizumi's first relationship." Oikawa said, tears still spilling out from his eyes.

In stead of going over to give the girl a piece of their mind, they gave Oikawa a long and much needed hug. If there was another thing that Oikawa felt always comforted him, it was hugs and physical contact. The two boys knew how difficult this must have been for Oikawa to talk about, because, as arrogant and confident as he seemed, there was a lot underneath the surface that most people didn't see. Oikawa was a sensitive soul and always tried to stop things from getting to him. And as strong as he was, sometimes, he just needed a bit of help and comfort.

They pulled away after a while and sat in silence for a few seconds. "Oikawa, you're so brave." Mattsun started. Tears began to form once again in not just Oikawa's eyes, but in Makki's and Mattsun's too. It was an extremely emotional and vulnerable moment for the three of them and Makki and Mattsun hated to see their best friend break down.

"I'm so glad you've told us, we can help you get through this. You're not alone Oikawa. Besides, it's not like you're the only gay person in the school." Oikawa looked at the two in confusion.
"Who?" The boys pointed to themselves.
"Im gay, and Makki is bi, if that is any comfort to you. So if the school finds out about your sexuality, they'll find out about ours too."

Oikawa looked at them in shock for two reasons. One, he had no idea they were queer too, if he had, he would have come out long ago. And two, he realised in that moment that he had the best friends in the entire world. And like they said, he wasn't going to face this alone.

HI AGAIN!! Ahh I almost cried writing this. Also, the characters' sexualities are just head canons and obviously feel free to disagree but please don't come at me for my opinions. I enjoyed writing this as it shows a whole different side to the characters and shows their vulnerability. I'm trying to get as close to the characters personalities as possible but it's not going to be 100% accurate. However, if you have suggestions please let me know. I'm open to criticism, all I ask is that you don't send hate and please be respectful. But anyway, I hope you enjoy!! <33