Chapter Twenty-Nine - Buckbeak and Fears

The first period of today was Divination. It wasn't very exciting. Weasley predicted how Potter was going to suffer and be happy about it; the Professor said it was "The Grim". And I predicted that Draco was going to find something new. We're now headed to Care of Magical Creatures with the Gryffindors. This lesson should be much more interesting considering that we have Hagrid this period. Knowing Draco though, he's probably going to find a way for this all to go to hell.

     When everyone arrives we all gather around Hagrid and he leads us into a small paddock at the side of the Forbidden Forest. There are flies buzzing around a rack of dead ferrets. I snicker as I look at Draco.

     "Look Draco, it's a bunch of dead, mini yous." He glares at me and shoves me into Ray. I laugh and walk back to him.

     "Gather 'round. Find yerself a spot. That's it. Now, firs' thing yeh'll want ter do is open yer books –"

     "Exactly how are we meant to do that?" Draco interrupts Hagrid. I scoff and shove him slightly.

     "Crikey. Didn' yeh know? All yeh've got ter do is stroke 'em. Look –" Hagrid takes my book from me and strokes the spine. The book shivers and stops trying to bite him. Everyone looks at him unsure of if they should do the same.

     "Righ' then. So... so... yeh've got yer books, an' now yeh need the Magical Creatures. Right.So... I'll... I'll go an' get 'em." Hagrid walks off and I look at him sympathetically. I feel bad for him, he's doing everything he can to make this lesson fun for us and Draco is ruining it all. I glare at Draco and he just shrugs and turns to Crabbe and Goyle.

     "God, this place is going to the dogs. Wait until my father hears Dumbledore's got this oaf teaching classes." Draco complains.

     "Listen you stupid little prat–" Potter starts stepping forward to Draco. Draco's eyes widen in mock fear.

     "Potter, there's a Dementor behind you!" I cry out. He jumps and turns around but there's nothing there. He turns around and we flip our hoods up.

     "Ooh..." The others start teasing. Potter's face reddens in embarrassment and we laugh at him. Hagrid comes back leading... a Hippogriff behind him.

     "Gee up, there! Beau'iful, isn' he?" Hagrid grins.

     "Hagrid. Exactly what is that?" Wesley asks.

     "A Hippogriff, o' course. Now, firs' thing yeh gotta know is they're proud. Easily offended, Hippogriffs are. Don't ever insult one, 'cause it migh' be the las' thing yeh do. Right then -- who wants ter come an' say hello?" Everyone steps back, leaving Potter at the front.

     "Good man Harry!" Hagrid leads Potter over to the Hippogriff and tells him how to pat it.

     "Tha's it. Easy now... stop! This here's Buckbeak, Harry. Yeh want ter let 'im make the firs' move. It's polite, see? Jus' take a step forward, give 'im a bow, and if Buckbeak bows back, yeh're allowed ter touch him. Ready?" Potter nods and bows down. Buckbeak doesn't bow down so Hagrid starts telling Potter to walk away, when suddenly, Buckbeak bows down. Potter stands up and starts patting his beak. Hagrid smiles and says that he might let him ride him.

     "Excuse me?" Hagrid grabs Potter and puts him on Buckbeak's back. Buckbeak gallops forward and takes off, soon enough they're out of sight.

     "I guess you just lost your future husband..." I mutter to Draco.

     "HUH?!"

     A few minutes pass and Buckbeak lands with Potter on his back, surprisingly, in one piece. Everyone starts cheering for him, except for Draco who just glares. Hagrid helps Potter off and they have a quiet conversation. Draco huffs and strides forward, pushing past everyone.