Chapter Forty - Love and Interviews

I look at Potter in shock and he looks at me with the same expression. I knew I was going to be chosen, but I didn't think Potter would be as well.

"Harry Potter and Y/n L/n!" Dumbledore repeats louder this time while looking around for us. People around us in the Hall start murmuring in confusion. I hesitantly stand up and it takes Potter a few moments and a push from Granger to stand up with me as well. He looks at me and I shrug and we head up to the front to Dumbledore.

"Here are your papers... could I have a word?" He whispers the last part with what I can tell is hidden anger. Potter gulps nervously and nods, I just don't respond and walk towards the back door with Potter tagging behind me nervously.

We wait quietly in the room before Potter breaks the silence.

"Do you think this has happened before?" He asks me. I just shake my head in response to him.

"No, it hasn't." I reply while kicking at the floor.

"Why do you think it has happened to us?" He continues asking me questions. How am I supposed to answer that?! "Oh my mother was just in a goofy mood! That's all!" I sigh and turn to him in slight annoyance.

"Potter, I don't have the answer to everything."

"Oh right..." As our conversation wraps up I hear bustling footsteps hurry towards us.

"Harry! Y/n! Harry! Y/n!" Dumbledore exclaims as he reaches us. He grabs our shoulders and shakes us.

"Did you two put your names in the goblet of fire?!" He yells angrily. I shake my head once while Potter mutters nervously "No sir."

"Did you ask any of the older students?!"

"No sir!"

"Are you absolutely sure?!"

"Yes sir!" As Potter answers him I just shake and nod my head along with his answers.

"But of course they are lying!" Madam Maxine yells, stepping in the room. I jump in shock and clutch my chest to calm myself.

"Do you think we purposely put our names in there?" I hiss, irritated by her assumptions.

"Yes! Anyone would jump at the opportunity to compete in competitions such as this!" I widen my eyes in disbelief and then roll them.

"The hell they're lying," Moody rolls his eyes, sarcasm lacing his voice. "The goblet of fire is an exceptionally powerful magical object, only an exceptionally powerful conjurer could have hoodwinked it. Magic way beyond the talents of a fourth year." I nod my head frantically at his statement and so does Potter but he does it in confusion.

"You seem to have given this a fair bit of thought, Mad-Eye." Igor states accusatory.

"It was once my job to think as dark wizards do, Karkaroff. Or did you forget?" Moody states.

"That doesn't help, Alastor. I'll leave this to you Barty." Dumbledore nods as he lets go of Potter and I and steps back from us.

"The rules are absolute, the goblet of fire constitutes a binding magical contract. Mr Potter and Miss L/n have no choice, they are as of tonight... tri-wizards champion."

After that roller-coaster of emotions conversation, I decided to take the long route back to the dorms. Sure I had seen this coming but... I don't think I can even get past the first challenge. Sure I have confidence in my skills, enough to be compared to a seventh year student, but... I feel... scared. I mean, I could die doing this, all for the pride of my mother. You know what? I'm just going to head to the Quidditch Pitch to blow off some steam.