Chapter 38: Mourning

Todays the day. The war between Lux and Gehna ended with Gehna finally surrendering. A decision I'm sure few citizens would oppose. We were all worn down into the dirt after all the heartache and loss.

All the terms hadn't been settled yet but it was obvious. We'd be annexed by the empire and if we were lucky we'd be treated as citizens. I suppose as the last surviving member with royal blood I'd either be the forced into a marriage with one of the emperors sons or made an example of.

But at least for today I could mourn in peace. There'd be a ceremony for all those lost during the end of the war to be laid to rest. We were able to gather information on the child conscripts as well. After the one sided battles and experiments performed by Zalikas only about 500 of them survived and many likely weren't long for this world.

"General Lisia... it's time" a soldier came to retrieve me. The mass funeral would begin.

*************

Outside it was as unpleasant as expected. I wore my black uniform to attend the funeral as I watched everyone. Husbands, Wives, mothers, fathers, children, soldiers, maids. Everyone was mourning the loss of a loved one.

I walked over to where my soldiers that died throughout the war had been buried. I spoke no words simply standing there at attention before finally giving them all a salute. While I didn't make a show of it I felt a few tears roll down my face.

"Mommy what's that lady doing?" I heard the voice of a young child talk. I turned my head slightly to see the kid speaking with their mother.

"She's a soldier sweetie. Those were her... friends."

I said nothing but I looked at the mother for a moment before nodding and heading over. Next was Axler. He had a will set out so he was buried with his soldiers instead of one of the graves for high officials.

I once again said nothing but left my favorite flower at his grave, a Lily.

"Mind if I walk with you?" A familiar voice caught me by surprise

I spun around to see Caius wearing a military uniform similar to mine though white and blue in color as opposed to black.

"Not at all."

"Well I figured I should let you know. Both King Arves and Zalikas were thrown into the pit. I don't know all the details but..."

"Yes it's a part of our belief to ensure those that committed evil acts will face punishment where they can either find redemption in the afterlife or burn for eternity." I informed him

"Ah I see... also Lucian was here early this morning but he simply left some coins on a few gravestones then left. Something about him not being a religious person so there was point in him bringing down the mood." Caius informed me.

I simply sighed. Sure enough that sounded like Lucian alright. A man of few words and little faith in anything but a sword. That sounded like Lucian alright.

"The children have been buried by now. Many of them were buried with their family members but the orphans were given a special spot. Shall I take you to them?" Caius asked me and I nodded giving him permission to lead the way.

We came to a flat area with a massive gravestone in the center and flowers around the perimeter of the circle. I couldn't see them but I knew there were plenty of other seeds in the ground over the places bodies were buried. It was a part of Gehnan Belief that this was a way to bring about new life after a loved one passed.

Both Caius and I spent an hour there reading off the names of the children claimed by the war and conscriptions. After offering some prayers for them to be at peace. As we turned to leave we saw a small girl with short pink hair holding a bouquet of flowers heading up to the grave stones.

I saw a look in her eyes... she was both sad and angry. Looking back on it it should have been obvious she was one of the child conscripts by her muscular build for her age and the dead look in her eyes.

But I had something else on my mind at the moment. One final place to visit.

"Hey Lisia. Come with me I wanna show you something." Caius spoke catching me by surprise as he apparently had a destination in mind.

******

This was... the royal graveyard.

But there were so many people leaving flowers. Why?

I walked forward and was surprised by what I saw.

The gravestone to the left belonged to King Laius. The ruler before this war began. Killed off so the excuse for this war could start.

And next to him was...

Excella Magi Gehna.
543-562

Despite her young age Queen Excella fearlessly stood up to the mad king Arves striking him down and ending the war of the mad king though her life was cut short in the process.

She spoke few words but had enormous love for her nation and people.

"C-Caius what is this?" I asked surprised at what I was seeing.

"Well after the battle ended I asked the other soldiers present about Excella. Based off what I heard from both them and you. She was forced to take the role of a villain in the end prior to that she cared about her nation and according to one soldier she was still thinking about relief plans for the people the day before she died." He said and before I knew it the tears were returning.

"So I decided to... alter the initial report to Lux a bit. It's true she struck down the mad King after all so this way... she'll be remembered for her actions throughout her life and not forever cursed by her final hours. Is that ok with you?" He finished.

By this point I was at her grave stone. And not even trying to hide my crying face. Who cares if it wasn't dignified.

Hearing his words made my heavy heart feel just a little lighter. Excella wouldn't be cursed as a monster. She'd be hailed as a heroine... I just wish she was still alive to see it.

"T-thank you Caius... thank you very much for this." I choked out between the tears.

It felt like an hour passed when eventually I dried my tears and began to stand up. I could see Caius had a look on his face. As if he wished to say something.

"What is it?" I asked

"Well it's regarding the future of Gehna. I spoke with the emperor and convinced him it would be best for someone well regarded by the Gehnan people play a major part in their reconstruction and that it'd be better to help rebuild Gehna then simply oppress it."

I was shocked by his words. Usually the losers werent given much choice in a war.

"Well I've got some knowledge from my own world. Ya see long before my world was destroyed there was a war that engulfed most of world. I'm still not sure how it all began but ultimately one of the nations that lost had to take the brunt of the punishment crushing them. It led to a leader becoming very popular and rising to power to the point he engulfed the world into a new war conquering a large portion of the world and wiping out millions of people both soldiers and civilian alike. In fact the war didn't end until a weapon powerful enough to wipe a city off the planet instantly was developed and used... twice. So I figured it was better to avoid something like that happening here." He have a long explanation.

A war engulfing the entire world and revenge so harsh the oppressed nation conquered much of it for years. That's equally horrifying and fascinating.

"So what I'm saying is... Lisia would you work with me to help rebuild Gehna." He held out a hand.

I looked at him for a second before wiping my tears and smiling.

I took his hand "It would be my honor Caius."

Aaaaaand that's the chapter hope you enjoyed. Two more chapters left of this flashback/side story. Hope y'all don't mind.

Also this story has now reached 10000 views and it's been added to 100 reading lists. Thank you all for the support you've given and I hope my story continues to entertain in the future as well as my other projects.