Chapter 56 drifting coffin

"If this map is any indication we need to take a right... here!" The woman told me and the large man carrying me. We continued to make our way down the metallic hallways with the lighting even dimmer than before.

It was quiet outside of the occasional talk. Most of the beasts were either dead or somewhere else on the ship.

"I'm amazed you know how to work that thing so easily" the man said.

What was so confusing about using a holo map? Sure I'd get someone from home being confused but didn't the people from the Ark know their own technology?

"Honestly it's not too different from using a smart phone. Just that the screen is a hologram instead of solid. Kinda disappointing how similar the technology all is." She said

"Oh right kid I forgot we haven't introduced ourselves yet have we. I'm Cheska Tsugiyama. One of the Maidens of Eve." She said looking proud of herself. I guess that was something important.

"Nothing huh... eh it's fine you're young. More importantly the big guy carrying you is my Guardian. But that's not all he's a famous historical figure. The real Dalton Marshal!" She said in a voice that sounded like a mix of bragging and... being a fangirl? I think that's what Aunt Kate called it.

"I... don't understand anything you just said."

Her disappointment was visible. I could barely make out her muttering "what are they teaching kids in school these days?"

"He's the last Great War hero in the history of Earth. In fact we're some of the only people still alive on this ship that have actually seen earth!" She exclaimed.

I think earth was the name of the planet that people of the Ark were originally from.

"Oh ummmmm... cool." I really don't think now is the best time to talk about something like this if I'm being perfectly honest but at the same time I'm still exhausted after my fight earlier and it's kinda nice not having to think about how much damage is probably being caused by those beasts. If only for a while.

"Well whatever. We can talk more about it later. We've still got a ways to go until we reach the Bio Lab."

And so we continued through the dimly lit halls in silence for a while. Without a clock or any natural light I couldn't really tell what time it was or how long we'd been out and about but if I had to guess I'd say it was probably something like 1am. When this was over I want to just curl up in a nice bed and sleep for a few days.

But eventually we saw a change in scenery. Not the bio labs but something else.

"More stasis pods. A person is inside each one of these but... it seems like some of them failed." I heard Mr Dalton speak for the first time in a while.

But from what I'd heard these pods basically put the person inside into a deep sleep but if they failed then that means the person inside would have either woken up or... oh.

"Hey kid... close your eyes for a bit please." Cheska instructed me.

She didn't want a child to see a bunch of dead bodies. I'd seen more than my fair share between both lives but... well I appreciated the sentiment so I complied.

"This is awful... even if we do find a planet I don't know how many of us there'll even be left... and these mutants on top of everything." I could hear Cheska muttering

I'd had a hunch something was strange about the Ark... well stranger than expected. From what I'd been told the Ark was absolutely massive, even larger than the city of Unita. But the number of people I'd seen didn't even reach the castle staff back home. Nevermind the population of a capital city. The Ark has technology centuries more advanced than anything back home but it's starting to fail. Power and supplies are being rationed to last as long as it can but I'm not even sure if it'll even reach home before it all turns into one giant coffin.

For the first time in a while I found myself thinking about... well my life as Lily. I'd been born with terrible eyesight, though it's gotten a bit better thanks to the medication so now I'd say it's just bad. My life had been endangered 3 separate times now... and I'm the daughter of the two people the ended my previous life. Then I got ripped away to a giant ship traveling the stars and somehow run into a biological family member.
Honestly this whole thing was quite ridiculous and I'm stating to wonder if I'll ever find peace. But... well when I think back to everything that also means all the good times. Reconciling with Lisia, even if it is strange how my closest friend in my previous life is my mom now. Or Sophie and how she used to be so clumsy when we were little but in just a couple years she became someone I could rely on and someone I've come to think of as family.
Escher, the first friend I'd made in this life. Plus all my other friends. Francesca, Simon, Lyric, Larentia, Natalie.
Uren and Mirette my retainers... honestly I wonder how they were doing.

And even Captain Lucian and Charlene... too be honest they probably haven't changed a bit regardless of what may have happened.

I let out a small chuckle.

This life sure was chaotic... and I wouldn't trade it for anything.

"Hey Mr Dalton can you set me down. I wanna walk for a bit." I requested and he complied without a word.

"We're getting close to the bio labs you two. Get ready."

I drew my knife in my right hand let my magic flow through my body ready to use it on a moments notice.

I will make it through this disaster. I'm going to get stronger so I can protect the people I care about, just like they've protected me. I will stop these monsters terrorizing the Ark.

I WILL LIVE!

I WILL LIVE!