Best Friends

Taehyung

"Do you know how boring it is to be a prince's knight?  Especially when said prince is your best friend?" I complained simply to annoy him.

As expected, he flashed me an irritated grimace.  "What did you expect when you agreed to the job, Tae?  A storybook where I go off slaying dragons or something?"

I leaned against his windowsill, gazing out longingly over the courtyard.  It wasn't that I disliked my job, but rather that I had my heart set on one I could never have.  Jimin noticed my melancholy and squeezed my shoulders before wrapping himself around my back.

"You've got that look," he noted.

I scoffed.  "What look?"

He pulled away to tug his embellished jacket onto his slender torso.  He did look rather princely and elegant when he wore these types of garments, but I preferred him in his comfortable night clothes.  Jimin always seemed more himself when the reminders of his duties weren't holding him like a vice grip.  He was always less uptight and more joyful when he wasn't Prince Jimin, but just...Jimin.  My heart ached a bit for my best friend and the unrealistic amount of expectations the world had placed on his small shoulders.

Jimin spoke with his back facing me.  "After all these years, I'm practically a Taehyung expert.  Don't think you're going to get away with pretending I haven't noticed when you drift off into another world.  What's wrong?  Something is weighing heavy on your mind and I refuse to go another day without you confiding in me.  I gave you space and time, but I'm your best friend.  It's time you finally let me in on whatever has been eating you alive."

I chuckled.  Jimin always saw through my fake smiles and claims of professionalism or duty.  I offered him a smile before nodding.

"Please don't misunderstand when I say this.  I love being your personal guard and I honestly do not trust a single other soul to protect you like I do, but sometimes..."  I trailed off, glancing out the window again.

"Sometimes?" Jimin urged me to continue.

"Sometimes I want more," I admitted quietly, guilt settling like a boulder on me. 

I should be grateful that Jimin had chosen me.  That he had elevated me from the poverty and homelessness that he found me in and gave me the chance at a better life.  I shouldn't be so flippant about the gift he had given me, but after he'd spent most of my life encouraging me to become as refined and educated as he was, I couldn't help but wish for something greater in my future than forever being a second prince's personal knight.  It was wrong of me, I knew, but I wanted distinction and my name in history books.  I wouldn't ever see it there if I stayed where I was.

Jimin just nodded as if he'd been expecting me to say as much.  As usual, I was blown away by his perceptiveness, especially towards me.  He finished buttoning the last button and stood beside me, slinging an arm over my shoulder.

"I never wanted you to be my bodyguard forever, Tae.  I always intended to give you more if I could, but you've never shown any inclination towards a particular position outside of being my knight.  I've only been waiting for you to say what it is you'd like," he proclaimed.

I turned to look at him in shock.  He'd planned to elevate me even further?  To do more for me than he already had?  I didn't deserve that.  I didn't deserve him.  A tear tracked down my cheek as I sat speechless, staring at my best friend.

"Don't give me that look," he scolded.

I huffed a weak laugh and repeated, "What look?"

Jimin smacked the back of my head, taking on his sassiest expression.  "Don't play dumb either.  You know the look.  The one you get when you think you're worthless or undeserving.  You're not, so stop before I have to smack some sense into you."

A grin broke across my face.  Jimin smiled back, but frowned again.

"You still haven't answered me.  What position would you like, Taehyung?  When you think that sometimes you want more, what is it you want?"

I sucked a sharp inhale of breath, gaze falling to my lap.  Picking at my nails, I hesitantly admitted what had been plaguing me for the last year.  The thing that I truly wanted above all else.

"I...I want...I want to be a painter," I said softly, "But not just any painter.  I want to be the best.  I know my paintings are a little unusual, but I really feel like my truest self when I have a paintbrush in my hand and paint splattered on my clothes.  I want to be the royal painter and create the greatest art the world has ever seen.  I want to inspire generations to come and document the history of East Busan to be kept forever.  I want my name to appear in books and be taught to children as the most influential artist of our time."

My voice faded away, along with my impassioned speech.  "It's silly though.  My paintings aren't all that impressive and there's no way the king will allow a mere knight into such a role of great honor."

Jimin burst into a fit of uncontrollable laughter.  "You're so stupid!  I'm a prince!  I'm my father's favorite jewel!  If I said I wanted you to be adopted as a third prince, he'd do it simply to see me smile!  And your paintings.  You're so stupid that you really think your paintings aren't that good!  What an idiot!  They're so beautiful that our current royal painter told me he was envious of your natural skills," he wheezed out.

I wasn't sure whether to be elated or offended by his words and laughter.  I chose to be both.  "I have never been complimented, laughed at, and called stupid all at once before, but leave it to my favorite princess to be the first."

Jimin wiped tears from his eyes as he regained control of himself.  "Well, I'm glad I could be your first.  Consider it done.  I'll speak to my father as soon as possible, as well as the royal court painter.  If I'd have known this was what you wanted, it would've been done ages ago.  I can't wait to see what you'll create.  You are so worthy of this, my friend."

He gave me one last hug before making his way to his washroom to finish preparing for his day.  Once again, I was left to wonder what I did to deserve Prince Park Jimin for a best friend.

------------------------------

Can we all admit that real life Taehyung's paintings are so cool?  I'd love to see him do more and create a gallery of his work. 

Since he hasn't, I'm going to keep using wattpad to pretend that he has. 

Thank you, wattpad, for your service to the ARMY fandom.

Now...I wonder what Jin and Hobi have been up to over in West Busan.  Guess you'll find out neeeexxxttt!