A Lone Survivor

It was a warm summer's evening and two boys were playing in the forest on the outskirts of the kingdom of Demoria.

The smaller boy was only about fourteen. He was small and skinny with pale skin, dark brown hair and honey-colored brown eyes.

On the boy's head were a pair of dark brown fox-like ears, and he had seven fluffy fox-like tails that were also dark brown. A yokai kitsune.

The taller boy was sixteen years old. He was quite tall and well-built, he had pale skin and messy jet-black curly hair. His eyes were a green so dark they seemed to be black, and he had two very distinct moles above his right eyebrow.

He had a large pair of black bat-like wings and a thin, long black whip-like tail along with a pair of large black horns on the top his head. A royal demon.

They were playing tag when the younger boy looked up at the sky to see that it was darkening quickly.

His eyes widened before he darted over to his friend, "Omi, I gotta go now," he said sadly.

The taller boy smiled and opened his arms to initiate a hug which the younger boy accepted immediately.

"We can play again tomorrow, Atsu, don't feel bad," he replied as he ran his hand through the smaller boy's hair.

"Alright, see ya, tomorrow, Omi," the smaller boy replied as he smiled up at his best friend.

Without thinking, the younger of the two boys reached up on the tips of his toes and kissed the older on the cheek before he ran off, waving a goodbye.

The taller boy's eyes widened as his hand drifted to his cheek which his best friend had kissed, feeling the warmth of the blush that began to form as he watched the younger boy run back home.

The boy smiled softly before he stretched his wings open and shot off the ground with one powerful flap, quickly flying towards the castle before his mother realized that he was missing.

Meanwhile, the younger boy arrived at his home in the outskirts of the kingdom.

He wore a big smile across his reddened face as he walked up to the door, though his facial expression quickly melted into one of concern as he noticed that the door was open by a crack.

He quietly crept up to the door and slowly pushed it further open.

Tears welled up in his eyes along with an overwhelmingly horrible feeling of grief and despair the moment he saw what was inside the house.

The floor was painted with a dark red liquid, it's acrid irony smell unmistakable.

Blood.

The young kitsune's eyes widened in horror as his eyes settled on another kitsune lying lifelessly in the midst of the pool of blood.

The boy covered his mouth as a feeling of deep-set terror flooded his stomach, he'd recognized the kitsune.

She'd been one of the only other two people in his life that he could trust besides the demon boy, she was his mother.

The boy's eyes then drifted to two other figures who were standing over the corpses of his family.

They each carried a weapon of some sort, both of their weapons dripping with the same dark red liquid that covered the floor.

The two men were knights of the royal guard, vampires.