Chapter Seventy-Eight: Victor, Vecna, and Vengeful Demons

We didn't waste any time getting up from the picnic tables and heading back to our cars.

"I'll catch up with you guys." Nancy said, heading back to her car.

"Whoa, whoa, Nance. Nance!' Steve called, jogging over to stop her. "Where are you going?"

"Oh, there's just something I wanna check out first."

"Something you maybe wanna share with the rest of us?" Dustin asked.

"I don't wanna waste your time. Its a real shot in the dark."

"With you?" I questioned. "I'd take those odds. I'll go with you."

She nodded and I walked over to join her.

"Yeah ok, are you two out of your minds?!" Steve asked. "Flying solo with this Vecna creep on the loose? No, its too dangerous, you guys need...you need someone to...Here you go," He turned around, tossing his keys to Robin, "I'll stick with Riley and Nance. You guys take the car, check out the shrink."

"I don't think you want me driving your car." Robin told him.

"Why?"

"I don't have a license."

"Why don't you have a license?"

"I'm poor."

"I can drive." Max suggested.

"No, no! Never again, please,anybody but you, no." Dustin raised his eyebrows in questioning. "No chance."

"Come on!"

"No-"

"Alright, ok, this is stupid," Robin said, handing the keys back to Steve, "Us ladies will stick together," She moved to stand beside us, "Unless, you think we need you to protect us?"

We all put our hands in our pockets, looking at Steve expectantly. Robin laughed at his lack of sresponse, leading the way towards Nancy's car. Nancy shrugged, following her and I moved over to stand in front of Steve.

"I don't like this." He said.

"I know," I put my hands on his face, kissing his cheek, "But you're the one who said I'm strong and tough and all that. I think we can handle it. Just do what you do best, ok?"

I turned around, following the girls.

"What do I do best?!" He called. I turned around, smiling at him and holding my hands out to my sides.

"Be the babysitter!" He shot me a look and I chuckled. "Your words, HAIRington."

"Yeah, yeah, thanks a lot, Barbie. Glad to see you're feeling better." He said dryly. I shot him a two-fingered salute before jogging to catch up with Nancy and Robin. "Be careful!" 

~~~

"So Eddie's Uncle, Wayne, thinks that Victor Creel, escaped from Pennhurst Asylum and that he's the one running around committing all these murders?" Robin asked as we walked towards the Hawkins Public Library.

"Pretty much." Nancy told her.

"But Victor committed the eyeball murders, like way back in the '50s."

"Well, '59." Nancy corrected as they each opened one of the double doors. I walked inside ahead of them.

"So, that means these murders pre-date Eleven and the Upside down by about thirty years?"

"Yeah." We came to a stop in front of the circulation desk, which was empty. I rang the bell.

"Which makes spooky Victor Creel like 70 years old."