Chapter Forty-Nine: There's More To Life Than Stupid Boys

~~~Riley~~~

I sat in the food court, a plate full of mediocre Hotdog On A Stick food on a plate in front of me, slowly driving myself crazy with thoughts about why Steve doesn't like me anymore.

Is it because I wasn't ready to sleep with him yet? Do I not put enough effort into my physical appearance?

Or worst of all...I was right, and he really did only want to go out with me to make him feel better about Nancy, and he's now realized he's gotten all the use he can out of me. I want to believe that that one isn't true but...actions speak louder than words and all that.

"There you are!" I looked up from my food to see Dustin standing in front of me. I smiled.

"Hey, kid! You're back!" He nodded.

"Yeah, I'm back...and I need your help with something." MY eyes widened. "Nothing like that, although if we can figure this out, its gonna be huge. I need you to come back to Scoops Ahoy with me." I shook my head.

"Nope. No, sorry Dustin. That is the last place I want to be right now-"

"Yeah, I know that, and I know you and Steve are having some relationship problems right now, but this is a lot more important than your love life. I promise." I sighed.

"Fine, but-" He grabbed my wrist, pulling me away from the table and my food. "Wait! Dustin, I paid for that-"

"There's no time! We gotta go now!" 

"Then you're buying me lunch later!"

~~~

When I got back to the ice cream shop, Robin was behind the counter, giving samples to Erica Sinclair and her friends. Dustin dragged me behind the counter and into the staff room, where Steve was in the process of writing something on Robin's white board. 

"Hey...you got her. I didn't know if you'd want to come back."

"He didn't really give me much choice in the matter." I said, flopping down in one of the chairs. "Are you updating the 'You Suck' board, because I'm pretty sure you just earned a mark and its certainly not on the positive side." He nodded.

"I know you're mad-"

"Talk about this later," Dustin interrupted, "Riley, I have called you here because I have intercepted a secret Russian communication-"

"What?!" I exclaimed. 

"A secret Russian Communication." He emphasized, telling me to shut up. I sank down in my seat. "I think this could be big, but we need your help to translate it." He slapped a Russian-English dictionary down in front of me.

"Why would I know anything about translating Russian?" I asked.

"We're not saying you do, we just know that you're smart and good at figuring things out." Dustin replied. I sighed, raking a hand through my hair.

"I'll try, but no promises." I said, leaning back in my chair and crossing my arms over my chest. "Let's hear the thing."

~~~

"Неделя длинная. Серебряная кошка кормит, когда синий встречается с желтым на западе. Поездка в Китай звучит хорошо, если действовать осторожно." The recording played the Russian words, which sounded like complete gibberish to me, as music played in the background. Steve paced back and forth, eating a banana in a rather uncomfortable way as Dustin paused the recording.

"So what do you think?" He asked.

"It sounded familiar." Steve answered, causing me to furrow my eyebrows.