Chapter Fifty-Three: Some Kind of Game

Dustin came back and we all gathered around the table in the break room so that he could give us the update. Robin sat on the end, fiddling with her ice cream scoop, while Steve sat across from her twirling his hat around on his hand. I sat at the end, arms crossed over my chest, actively listening to Dustin.

"That keycard opens the door, but unfortunately, the Russian with this keycard also has a massive gun. Whatever's in this room, whatever's in those boxes, they really don't want anybody finding it."

"But there's gotta be a way in." Robin stated. Steve stopped spinning his hat, blowing in it to restore its shape before throwing it on the table.

"Well, you know... "He leaned forward, his elbows on the table, "I could just take him out."

"Take who out?" Robin questioned.

"The Russian guard." She raised her eyebrows, and I looked at him skeptically. "What? I sneak up behind him, I knock him out, and I take his keycard, its easy."

"Did you not hear the part about the massive gun?" Dustin inquired.

"Yes, Dustin, I did, and that's why I would be sneaking." He made a walking motion on the table with his fingers, earning a sigh from Dustin.

"Well please, tell me this, and be honest, have you ever actually...won a fight?" 

"Ok, that was one time-"

"Twice. Jonathan. Year prior? And technically Riley, since she also punched you in the face."

"Look, that doesn't count." He said.

"Why wouldn't it count? Because it looks like he beat the crap out of you. You had a fat lip, crooked nose, swollen eye, a lot of blood-"

"It was just a bunch of small things that all added up-"

"That just might work." Robin said quietly to me, causing me to furrow my eyebrows as she got up, grabbing her bag and running into the front section and grabbing all the cash from the tip jar.

"Robin?" Steve asked, standing up. We all walked out as she ran through the gate out from behind the counter. "Hey, Robin! Hey, what-what are you doing?"

"I need cash." She said, walking backwards towards the exit.

"Well two-thirds of that is ours." He said, gesturing to me. "Where are you going?"

"To find us a way into that room, a safe way. And in the meantime, sling ice cream, behave, and don't get beat up." She told him, counting off on her fingers as she said this. "I'll be back in a Jiff!" I sighed, glancing over at the same time as Steve to see Dustin licking his ice cream scoop.

"Dude!" He exclaimed, snatching it out of his hand. "Come on, man, not my scooper." He twirled it expertly and put it in his little scooper pouch. Dustin went back into the back room and I walked over and leaned back against the back counter, waiting for customers to show up. Steve glanced at me, hesitantly walking over and leaning beside me. "Hey."

"Hi." I said quietly, not looking at him.

"I think this is the longest you've ever been mad at me." He pointed out. I didn't respond, and still refused to look at him. "So what, now you're not even talking to me? You can't look at me?!"

"I just don't think now is the time to be having this conversation." I said, glancing at him before walking over to the side of the counter by the wall and busying myself by restocking the cups.

"Yeah, well I have a feeling if its up to you it will never be the right time to have this conversation."

"Yeah, well, you're right about that." I said, going to walk towards the back room, only to have him move to stand in front of me. I sighed, glaring up at him. "Get out of my way, Steve."