Chapter One Hundred-One: Brother-In-Laws

The others sat down, scattered around the hospital room, and I told them all everything thing that had happened in Max's mind in even more detail than I had even told Steve. My hands were shaking by the time I was done, and I was half expecting all of them to decide that they hated me for putting them all in danger so many times.

But instead, as soon as I finished talking, Nancy stepped forward and crushed me into a hug.

"This is not your fault," She said, "There's no way you could've realized something like that, its completely insane." 

"Not to mention the fact that I guarantee you've saved more lives than we've lost." Lucas pointed out. "I mean, that doesn't discount their deaths or anything, but you've done way more good on purpose than bad on accident."

"That's what I told her!" Steve pointed out. I nodded, wrapping my arms around myself.

"And I appreciate that, I really do," I told them, "And I'm working on giving myself a little more grace, but its just...its gonna be a process."

"Well, then we'll just have to be with you every step of the way, reminding you how incredible you are." Nancy said. I smiled, glancing over at Max.

"You may want to wait and see if she wakes up to make up your mind about that." 

The door to the hospital room opened, and we all turned around to see Dustin entering the room. When he saw Steve and I, he made a beeline for us.

"How is Eddie?" He asked. I nodded.

"He's fine. Fine enough to raid our cabinets, at the very least." I replied, turning my gaze back to Max. He followed my eyes, turning to look at her.

"And...how is she?"

"Uncertain." Lucas said. He nodded. 

"I wish we could stay longer," Nancy spoke up, "But our parents are freaking out. I think they all want us home, given everything that's happened."

"Yeah," I agreed, "You guys go. We'll keep an eye on Max."

"I'll head on over to your apartment, check up on Eddie." Dustin suggested. I nodded and they all filed out of the room, leaving just Steve and I alone with Max. I blew out a breath, sitting in the chair beside her Bed and looking over at her. 

"I should've been there," I said, "I have no idea why I ended up with Eddie but...I mean, who knows? If I had been with Max, maybe she'd be awake right now."

"And Eddie would be dead." He pointed out, crossing his arms and leaning back against the wall. "Its a win-lose situation no matter what you would've done." I shook my head.

"I don't know," I replied, "I don't know what I could have prevented anymore."

"And there's no point in worrying about it, because it's not going to change anything." 

"I know, you've mentioned that," I said, glancing back at Max, "But its not that simple. Just because everyone tells me that it wasn't my fault and I couldn't have known, or done anything to stop it, none of that matters. It doesn't change how I feel. I just...I don't know. I can't help thinking that my Dad would know just what to say to make all of my guilt go away."

"You say that, but I guarantee if he was here, you'd be having this same argument with him." I smiled.

"Maybe...but gosh I'd give anything for that." He nodded.

"I know...me too."

~~~

Nancy and Robin returned to relieve us later in the evening.