Chapter 1

Searching
Katibah Elle
Chapter 1

Tahseen held the delicate pearl earrings in her hand.
With the florescent lights bouncing off the jewelry, it looked nothing but exquisite.

The white beauty shimmered, causing Tahseen to have that tingling sensation of bliss, dance across her spine.
‘My word’, she thought.

A gift from her grandparents, for making it through Med school.
It was a lovely and definitely an expensive gift, and for just a split second Tahseen felt slightly content.
She felt as if she had finally achieved her worth, and the pearls represented her reward.

However, as always, those feelings only lasted for a few brief seconds before floating away, disintegrating.
Yes, the earrings were stunning, but it did nothing to soothe the waging war inside of her frayed soul.

Was there something seriously wrong with her?
Was she really just so ungrateful?
Why is it, that nothing seemed to make her happy, not for longer periods of time?

She shook her head, letting go of those ridiculous thoughts.
No time to dwell on unseen internal struggles, not when you have the whole Hassim family waiting for your grand entrance.

Getting up from her dresser, Tahseen looked in the mirror, doing a once over.

An elegant emerald evening dress complimented her body.
The bateau neckline paired with a high waisted bodice, soft silk flared by the skirt, an elegant turban hijab styled in the perfect layers, only served to enhance Tahseen’s simple yet regal aesthetic.

It was no doubt that Tahseen was a catch.
She had inherited all of her mothers elegant looks. Brown upturned eyes, a soft pout and long black hair, pin straight from the day she was born.

Tahseen knew that some might say she was a beauty, but truth be told, she found her physical looks to be such a painful hindrance to all else.

Being the only granddaughter of the Hassim family, she was the apple of their eyes.
Tahseen remembered that even as a little baby, aunts and uncles fawned over her.
Always wanting to dress her up as every Disney princess imaginable, demanding she be prim and proper at all times.
On the other hand, all she wanted to do, was just have a blast.
Tahseen could not care less if a crow nested in her head.

While everyone noticed the beautiful young woman, none knew of her true form. A little lost girl, searching desperately for a even a tiny flicker of guidance.

With a deep sigh, Tahseen turned to the mirror once more, wearing the pearl earrings to complete her look.
Just as she grabbed her purse, the door of the suite flung open, and her Aunt Khadeeja came breezing in.

“Asalam, Tahsuuu! Oh darling! You look absolutely gorgeous! Come on now, you aren’t hiding from us, are you? We are all waiting to greet our only female doctor of the Hassim family!” Khadeeja fussed.

Tahseen smiled warmly, walking over to her aunt and giving her a small peck on the cheek.
Yes, Kaju Khala had a flair for the dramatic, but really she was just a sweetheart.
Linking her hands with her aunt, Tahseen replied, “Yes Kaju Khala, let’s go. I just needed a moment to tie my hijab.”

Giving Tahseen a squeeze of excitement, Khadeeja led her to the staircase, motioning for her to continue on her own.

Tahseen took a deep breath and made her way down the spiral staircase.
On reaching the second floor of the family mansion, the doors leading to the grand hall were open, draped elaborately with sheer rose gold organza.
Two long tables on either side of the entrance laid out in a variety of sweet treats and freshly squeezed juices.