Chapter 22

Searching
Katibah Elle
Chapter 22

Zuhair took a deep breath as he looked at himself in the mirror, and couldn’t help the joyful grin that lightened up his face.

With the rays of sunlight highlighting the sparkle in his eyes, happiness depicted Zuhair Adam as the King of Love.

Today is the day, that the woman of his heart, his soul mate of life, will be made his, and absolutely nothing would make him happier than that.

As he continued to stare at himself, he couldn’t help but imagine this day a little differently.

For a fleeting moment, a deep rooted sadness dimmed his smile, ever so slightly.

Aaliyah would not be apart of this new chapter of his life, and damn, it hurt like hell.

He had envisioned the three most loved and important women of his life, his mother, his sister and his wife, sipping tea and gossiping about his most annoying traits, laughing at his ridiculousness, all while he smiled at them with feigned innocence.

Life however, had forged a different path for him, and he vowed, that with every single second given to him, he was going to live his best life.
That started right now, mere seconds from being a married man.

He knew that he looked dashing in a crisp white robe, completed with a white Amaamah and a long black coat, embroidered in silver and white.
He had it custom made, and a little sweet secret for his wife, lay stitched on his right sleeve.

Right there at his wrist, the name “Tahseen” elegantly sewn into the design.
He wore his “heart” on his sleeve literally , and he was not afraid to show it.

Yet, he nervously adjusted the collar, hoping that she would appreciate his effort.

She….

His heart skipped a beat at the thought of her.
The woman that occupied his mind, his heart and unmindful whispers, all day and all night.
Every decision he made, he thought of what would suit her best, of how that beautiful smile, would grace her face in his presence.

A soft tap on the door interrupted his thoughts .
His heart thundered with nervous anticipation, as he grabbed the little black velvet box and a small booklet.

It was time...

People flocked to Masjidul Taqwa, as many from the community wanted to be a witness, wanting to see if this  bizarre union would actually take place.

All wanted first row seats to what were to be, the hottest gossip of the town, rival families now joining with a marriage of the grandchildren.
The whispers and stares at the Hassim and Adam families were open and very judgmental.

However the respective fathers, Ebrahim Hassim and Ahmed Adam stood as a formidable pair, silently daring anyone, as to be so brave to breathe a hurtful word to Zuhair.

Both fathers were committed to this day, as being the most beautiful and important day for their children, and they were determined to not allow anyone that had the intention of ruining it.

Once the Zuhr Salah was completed, and after the thought provoking sermon rendered, the Nikah commenced.

Sheikh Muhammad turned to Ebrahim and asked, “ Ebrahim Hassim, you are the representative of the bride, Tahseen Hassim. Have you obtained her consent for this Nikah?”

Ebrahim smiled and with a simple nod he replied, “Yes, I have obtained her consent.”

Sheikh Muhammad then turned to the first witness, and asked, “Abdullah Hassim, were you a witness to this consent?”