Chapter 29

Searching
Katibah Elle
Chapter 29

Tahseen wiped away her tears in frustration.
Gosh! She was not supposed to cry.

She wanted to be elegantly composed, not allowing emotions to turn her into a sobbing mess, but just seeing him, caused that tiny little crack, leading to the flood of heartbreak.

Looking at the regret in his eyes, and feeling his warm chest against hers, made all her bad ass attitude fall away.

The tears fell because, yes she was so hurt, but more so she was hurting for him.
A man that has so much love to offer, yet he feels like he shouldn’t give it, for the sake of her safety, threatened by her own blood, while his own safety could be at risk.

She knew that his past with Aaliyah affected him enough, that he would be willing to leave her, even if it meant breaking his own heart.

That was why her tears continued to fall.

Tahseen shook her head to keep her sorrowful thoughts at bay, as she walked faster to where her car was parked.

Kaju Khala was having a great time with Bilal Valli, and she didn’t want to cut in, she was going to deal with her grandfathers dirty secrets herself.
She will send the driver for her aunt tomorrow morning.

A faint echo of her name amongst the hazy noise made her turn around, and she saw Zuhair running after her.

She stared at him, and as much as she wanted to run back into his embrace, to tell him that it’s going to be okay and to take him with her, she needed to do this on her own.

She knew Zuhair, he would definitely stop her from what she wanted to do next.

She needed to see Moosa Hassim.
It’s time her grandfather saw her true ‘jaath’.

She was going to make him pay, literally.

***

Zuhair ran after his wife, his feet thumping the paving harshly.
He needed to get to her, to make it right.

He saw her making her way to her SUV, and he ran faster, his ribs aching with the effort, making it difficult for him to breathe steadily.
He couldn’t care less about the physical pain, not while his heart pounded in the fear of losing a part of her.

As he gained distance, a group of the Valli’s grandchildren came speeding out with their quad bikes.

“TAHSEEN!” he managed to shout out, his voice drowned away by their laughter and blaring music.

He watched as his wife turned around to look at him, her gaze burning with regret, the sheen of tears still lingering on her cheekbones.

What was she going to do?
Something wasn't right, he knew it.

Zuhair gasped in pain, lowering his head as he pushed himself to run even faster, he was just few feet away.
A terrified shout made him look up again, and it was as if time had slowed down right before his eyes.

He heard the fearful screams of the children, running in different directions as one of the boys lost complete control of his bike.

He spun in circular motions, holding on for dear life, until his body got caught on a light pole, his body lifting off of the spinning bike.

The uncontrolled bike swerved at a high speed, directly for Tahseen, giving her no time to react.
The bike hit her, and Zuhair watched in horror as her fragile body flew across the driveway.

The harsh impact of the crash, caused her head to hit hard against the brick pavement, the sound of broken bones could be heard.

Crimson blood oozed out from the back of her skull, her eyes fluttering as she groaned softly, “Zuhair……”, right before losing consciousness.

Zuhair could barely take in a breath, the constant stuttering of no on his lips, “Tah… no.. baby.. No.”

He reached her and dropped to his knees before her body, his shaking hands too afraid to touch her unmoving body.

The yells and screams around him slowly muted, until the pounding of his terrified beating heart was all he could hear.

Slowly he lifted his trembling hands and reached out to touch her.

“No don’t! Zuhair listen to me, it’s me.. Do not touch her. Lets get the ambulance here and we can take it from there.” Eric grabbed hold of Zuhair and pulled him back.

Zuhair looked at him with wild eyes, not hearing a word Eric said, “That’s my wife! MINE! She’s not breathing Eric, look.. Just look at her chest. It’s not moving. I need to do something, please. That’s my wife. Eric no! Let me go, no.. NO…” Zuhair roared.

Eric held onto Zuhair firmly, not letting go even when he struggled to break free, Zuhair was frantic and in shock, and Eric pulled him away to make way for the paramedics.

Eric motioned for Tahseen’s aunt and she hurriedly wiped away her tears as she grabbed Zuhairs arm to steer him away.

While Eric spoke to the paramedics,  Zuhair’s ashen face turned into rage.
“Where is Bilal Valli?? Where is he? I need answers dammit!” Zuhair spat out.

Kaju Khala put her hand gently on his arm, but he shrugged her away, turning his blazing fury on her, “This was Moosa wasn’t it? You would know, wouldn’t you? Knowing the family so well. Yet you were having a good old time with Bilal, not a care in the world for your beloved niece. You had the audacity to threaten me on our wedding today, now I want you to hear my threat. If I come to find out that you or Bilal, in any way knew about Moosa’s plan to hurt my Tahseen, then Kaju Khala , I swear I will not rest until I cause you unthinkable misery. DO YOU HEAR ME?!”

Kaju Khala shook her head and whispered hoarsely, “This was no attempt to hurt Tahseen. It wasn't meant for her.It’s an accident Zuhair. A horrible accident and I’m so sorry.”

Eric grabbed Zuhair and pulled him away before he could say something worse. He held Zuhair’s face in his hands demanding he look at him, “Zuhair! Look at me, this was an accident. The boy riding the bike has been badly injured too. It is very unlikely that Moosa had anything behind this. You need to snap out of this, and be strong. Tahseen will be taken to the hospital, and the only way the paramedics will allow you to go with, is if you calm down. Please, trust me. I will do everything I can to help her.”

Zuhair inhaled a shaky breath, and confided, “I.. I can’t lose her, Eric. She’s my life. I can’t.”
Zuhairs raw pain could be heard in every word, and Eric had no response that would pacify him, so he simply clasped his shoulders and led him to the ambulance.