Chapter 9

Searching
Katibah Elle
Chapter 9

Zuhair whistled as he pulled on his denim jacket. He looked at himself in the mirror and combed through his neatened beard.

Today was going to be a good day, he could feel it in the depths of his bones.

He planned on taking his mother for shopping, and promised her a lovely garden lunch and some quality time.
Being so busy at work, he missed those heart to heart conversations with his mother.
He made a point, that at least once a month he spend the entire day with his mother.
Today he wanted to treat her, she could enjoy the shopping and then rest it out with a delicious lunch.

He skipped down the stairs on his way to the front room.
His mother sat on the arm chair, waiting for him. Zuhair smiled, his mother was always on time.

Mrs Fatima Adam was a very beautiful woman, even in her old age.
Her intellect, along with her looks only matured gracefully.

Her eyes held depths of wisdom, from past experiences and Zuhair knew, the strongest person alive was his mother. She held a magic touch of guiding her loved ones. Her life was not an easy one, but the one thing that he learned from his mother, was to live every moment to it’s fullest. To love the good, the bad and even the OK days, as it’s all part of your personal journey.

The second Fatima saw her son enter the room, her eyes softened with tenderness and she hurried over to give him a warm hug.

Zuhair hugged his mother back with a heartfelt squeeze. He knew, that no matter what life’s pleasures may bring, no matter what luxury could be bought, having a loving present mother, was the best gift of all.

A thought struck him, and he realized that’s exactly what he wanted for his own children one day.

A woman who would nurture them with love, securing not only their faith, but their morals for a lifetime.
A little whisper echoed through his thoughts, calling upon a certain healing soul, a pretty girl  with an artistic flair.
Zuhair ignored the sudden shiver, causing his pulse to quicken, leading his mother to the car.

Fatima thoroughly enjoyed a full morning of shopping, she managed to shop in peace, without her husband begging her to go home.

Zuhair on the other hand, finally understood his father’s excitement when he mentioned he wanted to take his mother shopping. His father used him as a scapegoat!

This was exhausting! It should be considered an extreme sport. He had no idea how his mother sustained such strength.
Shop until you drop was meant to be an idiom, not taken to heart with the way his mother obtained more shopping bags, one after the other until his arms could no longer carry them all.

Zuhair’s eyes grew weary with each passing second as they walked around The Village, from the clothing boutiques, shoe shops, home décor and unbelievably, even a craft store.

“Zuhair, my boy, what do you say we go for cupping? I know of a lady….” Fatima did not get a chance to continue, as Zuhair grabbed her hand, giving her a gentle squeeze.

“Mum.. How about we just stop for lunch? ” Zuhair suggested.

Fatima grinned and agreed, “OK, let’s take a rest, for a young man you look like you’re about to pass out. I’d say you take after your dad. Aah, I can’t wait for the days I’ll have a daughter in law or a grand daughter that I can enjoy this with.”

Zuhair blushed at his mother’s comment and quickly cleared his throat. He ushered his mother along, ready to eat and never bring up that particular topic for the rest of the day.