Chapter 7

Searching
Katibah Elle
Chapter 7

Zuhair sat at the Hillberry Café , waiting for his closet friend, Dr. Eric Miller.

Lucky for him, Eric wanted to catch up, as well as take a good look at Zuhair’s shoulder.

Zuhair ordered a spiced chai and pistachio Tres Leches cake, while aimlessly paging through The Times.

He maintained a good relationship with Eric over the years and Zuhair counted him as a friend of a different faith.

They shared intense conversations from all topics of politics, religion, relationships and business.
Zuhair found their meetings mentally stimulating and he knew that Eric would always show him a different point of view without demoralizing his own.

He valued their friendship.

Today however, he couldn’t wait to see Eric for a different reason.
He needed to know how Dr. Hassim reacted to her gift.

In his mind's eye, he imagined her at a loss for words. That her eyes would have widened with surprise and her pretty lips broadened into a sweet smile.

Zuhair was so engrossed in his fantasy daydream, that Eric had to click his fingers in front of his eyes to snap him out of it.

Zuhair finally came to focus and shook his head, the back of his neck heating in embarrassment.

Eric laughed whole heartedly and sat down.
“Well, a good morning to you too.” He greeted mischievously.

Zuhair eyed him with sharp eyes, clearly not amused by his friends joyful greeting.
“Hi.” Zuhair was too proud to explain his lack of attention, when Eric arrived and kept his reply short and sulky.

Eric merely smirked at Zuhair, not in the least bit affected by his moodiness, knowing all too well about his internal struggle.

As Eric placed his order, Zuhair wondered how he was going to bring up the whole Dr. Hassim thing, when he saw the gift bag next to Eric’s chair.

“WHAT is this doing here?!”  Zuhair demanded , causing a few heads to turn their way.

Eric raised his eyebrow at his friends outburst. Zuhair lowered his angry eyes and questioned Eric again, in a more softer but no less irked tone, “Why is that gift bag here? I thought it would be with Dr. Hassim by now. Didn't you give it to her?”

Eric leaned forward, “I already gave her the gift, she returned it saying that she can not accept something this inappropriate, and asked me to please donate it to the children’s ward. I brought it with to tell you that, and since she asked for it to be donated, I felt inspired and bought some stuffed animals to add to the donation. It’s a good initiative, we're talking about doing more for the children.” he replied with a nonchalant shrug.

Zuhair could only hear the word 'inappropriate' resounding in his skull.
As he rubbed his aching temples he almost missed the hurtful squeeze of his heart.
Frowning at the feeling, Zuhair ignored it and focused more on the fact that he thought she was just too damn stubborn.

He knew he said some terrible things, but he hoped that she would accept his gift. He definitely did not expect her to just give it away.

Clearing his throat he asked Eric to pass over the bag, he needed to remove the journal and the letter.
Those items definitely won’t be of any use at the children’s ward.

He was aware that Eric watched him as he rummaged through the contents, and when he couldn’t find the book and the note, he became agitated.

“Where is it? Eric, please tell me you respected my tiny bit of dignity and didn’t actually read the note in the journal!”

Eric leaned forward and calmly said, “Look Zuhair, she gave the bag to me as it is. I saw her take the envelope you addressed to her and that was it. I don’t get what’s with you. She’s just a girl.”

Zuhair ran his hands through his hair, frustration, hurt and some unknown feeling niggling at his core.

“She’s not just a girl. She’s something else entirely…. She’s….. I don’t know.” Zuhair shrugged, not having a clue how to describe what he meant.

“Zuhair, I have known you for at least ten years. Never once did you ever pay attention to any girl. I know it’s part of your religion, and you observe such teachings whole heartedly, but you were always so closed off, never an inkling to know them more. I watched you appreciate a woman’s beauty and as soon as that realization came to you, you would lower your gaze. I always admired that about you. As men, we talk trash about women, and I always noticed you never took part in such talk, not once objectifying a woman. With Dr. Hassim, it’s like you are torn between this modesty and between wanting to shrine her soul. I can see it driving you crazy. So, what gives?” Eric asked.

Zuhair sighed, his shoulders tensed.

He needed to say something, anything that would make sense to himself first.
“I’m confused about it myself. I have no intention of finding a woman for myself. You know I have to fulfill my checklist, before I can even think of settling down. It’s just.. The day she walked in to see my dislocated shoulder, there was something about her that made me want to, I don’t know, protect her? I feel like I see a lost soul and it really bothers me. I want to help. I just screwed it up the first time over, but I can’t let it go. I can't get her out of my mind.”
Zuhair off loaded, almost feeling at ease until he got a look at Eric’s face.

“What?” he asked.

Eric shook his head, “It’s nothing, forget it.”

“Eric, spit it out.” Zuhair’s tone broached no argument.

Eric pursed his lips nervously until he finally confessed , “Personally, I feel that Dr Hassim is an amazing woman. She works hard, she is friendly and she never gives me any issues. I work with her and I know this. My concern is that maybe you’re right, about her being a lost soul. I just don’t think she will be too happy to have you to be the one to help her find herself. I mean, her entire internship she presented herself as meek and almost spineless but now, she’s become much more confident. I highly doubt she will appreciate the man who insulted her so horribly to be her knight in shining armour, from the way I see it, that lady is not going to let you down softly. With your ego, I advice against you pursuing this need to help her. Sometimes those who are lost, need to find themselves, and it's not your responsibility.”

Zuhair contemplated on Eric’s words. Perhaps, he may be right.
However, Zuhair was willing to take the fall for it, if he had to.
His guilty conscience demanded it.
More importantly, Zuhair just realized that sneaky Miss Dr. Hassim kept the journal.

He grinned as a tiny bloom of hope, grew in the pit of his stomach.
Well, there was only one way to find out why.
He’s going to give Dr. Hassim a surprise visit.