Chapter 13

Searching
Katibah Elle
Chapter 13

“I take it your profession of love, butterflies and all that jazz went well? ” Eric enquired, over the phone, with a subtle hint of annoyance in his voice.

Zuhair could easily imagine Eric’s airy quotation marks, with his trademark eye roll.

He sat in the family lounge, relaxing with a glass of an ice cold lemonade, after a gruelling day at work.
His only silver lining, was his morning encounter with Tahseen, and he grinned at the thought.

Back to the conversation at hand, Zuhair simply replied with one word, “Yes.”
He loosened his tie, ready for the mouthful he was sure to hear.

Sure enough, Eric made a guttural sound before continuing, “Well, with the way Dr Hassim blushed all damn day, I’d say you’ve got exactly what you’ve wanted. I just feel that you need to be more … careful. You know it, Zuhair. ”

He sighed, his friend was making this extremely difficult for him.
Why was he finding this so hard to accept? He already explained his feelings to Eric, that it is only with Tahseen that he saw his entire life.
Too soon? Perhaps, but unlike before, Zuhair felt an urgency, as if something good was going to slip away.

Eric had been there every single day, throughout his most darkest and painful days, and his friend knew the depths of his scars. He had assumed that Eric would have called this a good path for him.

A victory.

“Look Eric, I appreciate your advice, though I don’t find it necessary. I am happy with my decision and I would very much like it, if you respect it. I completely understand your concerns, but I’m not one to jump into anything without giving it good thought.” Zuhair replied to Eric, hoping his friend would let this go.

Eric did not reply for a long time, Zuhair would have been certain he hung up on him, if it had not been for the continuous faint tapping of a pen, that he could hear over the phone.
It seemed like Eric was very agitated by his feelings for Tahseen.

Eventually Eric let out a deep breath and relented, “OK fine, fine! I respect your decision, and I’m truly happy that you've found someone who fits your half. I’ll support you fully, but be sure to remember, that I will pull you back, if anything goes wrong.”

Zuhair smiled at his friends overprotective nature. To be fair, he expected nothing less from Eric, it’s just that, with Tahseen, he knew he could handle anything.
Having Eric stand with him, made him completely determined to catch his happiness.
“Thank you Eric, I will keep you updated.” Zuhair replied.

Eric grunted, “Oh God, no need, thank you! I will most probably be seeing hearts in the doe eyes of Dr Hassim all day long. If this love thing affects her work, it’s you I blame. I can’t stop your love, but I can have security making sure you leave my doctors to their duties.”

“It’s just one lovely doctor.” Zuhair cheekily replied.

Eric mumbled a colourful range of profanities at Zuhair.
Zuhair chuckled whole heartedly, shaking his head in amusement as he ended the call.

This love thing was already effecting him too.

Love... Was it possible to feel something on this magnitude so fast and so quickly?

His chest constricted with yearning, wanting another second to look into Tahseen’s beautiful eyes, watch as her lips quirk into that, pretty bashful smile.
He thought about her passion for her art, her compassion for those that needed help, and the confusion of the state of her contentment, something that she tries so hard to hide.
He knew of it, he saw that dark shadow pass her eyes. All he wanted was to grow into her journey with her, not leading her, but holding her hand, while he found moments of pure happiness with her.

Zuhair was completely aware of his infatuated smile. His head fell back against the couch cushion. Oh yes, he was a love sick fool and he loved it!

Zuhair’s mother walked in the exact moment his grin turned mischievous as he ruffled his hair.

“I see that you are in a jubilant mood, so let me give you news to make it even better.” Fatima Adam commented.

Zuhair clapped his hands with excitement as he sat forward and replied, “Mum, I doubt it can beat the good news that I have to tell you.”

“Oh really ?” she asked with a quirked eyebrow.

“Mmmm hmmm.” Zuhair hummed, tapping his fingers on his lips, unable to stop his glorious smile.

Fatima sat down her handbag on the leather couch and waved her hands dramatically, “Ok, I’m going first! So, remember Zakiyyah Patel? The one we met at your cousins Muhammad’s wedding? Well, I just met her parents, and they are more than happy for you to meet her. She’s very pretty, a teacher. Talk to her, see if you like her and if both of you agree, you can be married by the end of this year.”

Zuhair’s smile slipped into a frown. He shot up from the couch in shock, “What?! No!” he managed to splutter.

He watched as his mother looked taken aback by his behaviour, and yes it seemed unusual for him to react this way, normally he would never vehemently deny his mother, but after today, the last thing he wanted was a set up with some other girl.

“Look, my son. I know it’s sudden, but it’s time you settle down. After Aaliyah, you threw yourself into your studies and work. I think you need to learn a love of a new kind.” Fatima spoke gently.

Zuhair slightly shook at the mention of Aaliyah.
That was a can of worms he refused to open on such a happy day for him.
He took in his mother’s concerned voice and sighed, “Mum, I want to settle down. I’ve finally met a girl I really like. In fact, tonight I wanted to talk to you and Dad about getting to know her and her parents.”

Fatima sniffed and looked away. Oh, she knew all about his feelings for this mystery girl and that’s exactly what she was afraid of.
This girl had the same essence of Aaliyah, as a mother, she could sense it. Except with her, she could completely ruin Zuhair.

“I don’t think she’s right for you.” Fatima said firmly.

Zuhair walked over to his mother and held her hands. Looking into her eyes he asked with his heart in his throat, “Mum, I know you. I know exactly why you are saying no, but you haven’t even met her. Please just give her a chance, she absolutely amazing.”

Fatima looked at the fervour of love in her sons eyes and she knew, that no matter what happened, this girl already held his heart.

Fatima only hoped that this time, fate would be kind to her son.