Chapter 33

Searching
Katibah Elle
Chapter 33

Tahseen forced a smile at her husband as she bit back a groan.

Her body felt like it was going to whither away with exhaustion and aching bones, and all she wanted to do, was take her painkillers and go  back sleep.

She could literally feel her eyes drooping, but Zuhair was so happy and excited that she was awake, she forced herself to look more alive.

She had honestly thought, that he would have been really mad at her for not telling him about her grandfather’s secret, but his easy forgiveness left a hint of suspicion.

Perhaps later she will figure out the reason for his soft nature, right now she was too tired to pry.

She only heard bits and pieces of whispers about her grandfather, her family making sure she knew very little regarding what happened thereafter.

Every time his name came up in conversation, she'd have a panic attack and her naps were filled with nightmares of him hurting Zuhair.

The last she saw of him, was when Eric managed to drag him out straight into the hands of authorities.
Currently he was in police custody, and a full investigation will be carried out.
She wanted to know more, but her father was adamant that she stay away from any information or speculation.
Her family had become much more over protective over her, and she while she understood their fear for her injuries, she found it way too much.

Most of her questions regarding her grandfather and his affair were met with a change of topic.
She had no idea if the boy was okay, or if her grandfather had confessed to the attempted murder, but she was knew that Bilal Valli will ensure her grandfather pays heavily.

For now, she was glad that he was far away from her and Zuhair, where no one else could be harmed.

Tahseen grinned weakly as Zuhair beamed at her, practically bouncing around the room, “Hey baby, I made sure to get you all your favourite treats. There’s some Krispy Kreme doughnuts , just glazed. I’ve sneaked in some of your Mocha Frappuccino, and if you’re ready to eat, I’ll make a call for those sweet chilli, prawn crumpets that you love so much. Your mother sent some ginger soup and gave strict instructions that you have that first. Oh and... Here’s a gift for you, but you have to read the note inside it first.”

Zuhair practically flung a white box  in Tahseen’s lap.

She looked down at it curiously, and looked up again to see Zuhair holding in his breath.
Without saying a word, he motioned for her to open it.

What on earth was this man of hers up to?

She gently pulled the one end of the silky white ribbon, and lifted the lid of the box.
Inside was an envelope addressed to her, Dr Tahseen Hassim Adam.

Zuhair stood by her side, impatiently rolling back on the balls of his feet.

Tahseen wanted to giggle.
Never has she seen this man so ridiculously excited and nervous.
She pulled out the envelope and slid her finger across the opening.
Pulling out the piece of paper inside, she realised it was a medical scan, an ultrasound to be exact.

Everything looked fine, the little foetus was healthy, but why would Zuhair give her a medical report?

“Oh...uhm love... This is an ultrasound, did you perhaps package the incorrect paper, where did you even find this? Is Eric being irresponsible with his files?”

Zuhair leaned over her shoulder and kissed her cheek, “Hey Dr. Hassim, why don’t you check the name of the patient?”

Tahseen blinked rapidly, realising that she didn’t take note of the name, and glanced back at the ultrasound.

Her eyes widened as she dropped the paper, and with desperation she pulled away the shimmery tissue paper from the box, to reveal a simple white baby grower.

Her shocked gasp had Zuhair’s face soften, his eyes searching hers, his heart in his throat.

“Oh! That’s...  It’s my... This is my ultrasound! Zuhair can this really be? Am I pregnant? ...but in my condition? Oh Zuhair, what if I damage it... What if?”

Tahseen’s lips quivered and Zuhair held her hand tightly, “After you were brought into the hospital , with all the tests that were done, Eric informed us that you were pregnant. I’ve never been so terrified and ecstatic at the same time. Tahseen, that little creation inside of you, already has it’s fate written down, perhaps we feel the timing isn’t correct. I know we definitely didn’t plan for a baby..but after the accident, fearing that I may lose you, for me this is the biggest blessing to come. I will be here for you every minute of everyday to help you recover your health, and monitor the health of our unexpected little one. Whatever is meant to be, will happen Tahseen, and we can only pray for the best outcome.”

Tahseen looked down and traced the black words embroidered on the baby grower , ‘Baby Hassim Adam’ with the tips of her fingers.

She had no idea what to think, and when the first tear touched her cheek, she knew that amidst all that was going on, this little bean growing inside of her was going to be her strength.

“A baby huh.. I imagined this going a whole different way.. Me surprising you, not the other way around. Zuhair..are we going to be okay?” Tahseen whispered, looking up to Zuhair, the unshed tears of emotion still glistening in her eyes.

Zuhair gently cupped her cheeks and placed a soft kiss on her lips, “Yes my love, together we will be okay.”

Tahseen suddenly shifted away, she quickly packed everything back into the box, then tried to grab her phone from the bed stand.

“Heyyy what are you doing? You can’t exert yourself like this.” Zuhair exclaimed.

“I need to call Eric. I want to see all my medical reports, so I know what’s going on with my body. I want another ultrasound done, right now. I want..”

Zuhair placed his hands on her shoulders, “I’ll call him. Please take it easy.”

The next hour was spent with Eric explaining to Tahseen everything she needed to know.

“Now, let’s wheel you to Dr Lee Ann’s office. She will be doing the ultrasound with both of you. Now, as your boss, you have been given leave until you recover according to my approval. Until then, you to love birds start planning all things baby.” Eric winked at Zuhair and Tahseen, as they both beamed at each other.

Dr Lee Ann welcomed Zuhair and Tahseen inside, and once all the necessary checks were done, she wheeled Tahseen over to the sonography machine.

Dr Lee Ann lifted Tahseen’s hospital gown to expose her stomach.
The squirt of the gel made Tahseen wince slightly. It was so cold!

“Alright Dr Hassim. Let’s have a good look at what’s happening here. Ahh there we are, I’m sure you can recognise what you see. Dad, come have a look, there’s your little baby.”

Tahseen watched at Zuhair stared at the little image on the screen, he seemed fascinated as the image contained to be enhanced according to the movement of the transducer.

Just looking at the awe on his face, was all the confidence she needed.

The two of them, with all their love, parenting a child will only serve to bring them closer.

Finally the echo of the heartbeat could be heard, as the soft little thuds filled the room.

“It’s beautiful..” Tahseen whispered.

“Yes.” Zuhair agreed, looking into her eyes, “Beautiful.”