Chapter 6

Searching
Katibah Elle
Chapter 6

Tahseen ran around the ward like an insane woman.

Today, the amount of patients multiplied over the course of the week and Tahseen wondered, if it were possible to still survive without any sleep or food.

She turned the corner and made a pit stop at Dr. Miller’s office.
She needed coffee urgently, her feet were starting to feel as if they were floating off of the ground.

She popped in his office, taking note that Dr. Miller was on the phone.
She smiled and waved at him, indicating that she was stealing his freshly brewed Tanzania Peaberry coffee.

Dr. Miller waved his hand in generosity, and signalled to her that he won’t be long and wanted her to stay for a chat.

She sighed comically, tapping her watch, making it known to him that she did not have the time.
She needed her caffeine fix and needed to get back to work.

Just as she took a sip of her seventh cup that day, Dr. Miller put the phone down and called out to her, “Oi Hassim! You’ve been working hard all day today. Come and sit, take a break for at least two seconds.”

Tahseen grinned and hopped over, after all she was working under Dr. Miller and if he gave permission for a two second break, she will happily take it, with the delicious coffee in hand.

“Thanks Dr. Miller.” She replied.

“Hassim! None of that, we’re colleagues now, call me Eric.”

Tahseen nodded and quipped, “Well if that’s the case, call me Tahseen. I feel like you’re addressing my older brother with the name , Hassim.”

Eric chuckled in agreement.

Tahseen sat on the arm of the armchair, as too many reports took up the space on the cushion seat.
She was certain, that the minute she exits the office, Linda will be over it like a hawk, filing it away.

Eric leaned forward and whispered to Tahseen, “So, have you heard? One of our staff has a secret admirer.”

Tahseen gasped, “Oh my! Are you serious!”
Tahseen will never admit it out loud, but she absolutely loved the office gossip.

Eric nodded and continued, “In fact, a delivery came in today. It’s that big purple gift bag.”

Tahseen turned to look at the item that Eric pointed at, and her eyes widened.
“Wow, that’s some gift. So who is the lucky girl or guy, may I ask?” she asked, leaning forward, excited for the juciy details.

“Tahseen.”Eric said.

“Yes?” she responded, thinking he wanted to discuss something.

Eric stood up from his seat and brought the gift bag to his desk.
“No, I meant the lucky girl is...Tahseen.”

Eric placed the gift bag in front of Tahseen, and tried his best not to laugh at her astounded expression.

Eric and Zuhair had been friends for a few years, and Zuhair had pleaded with him, practically begged him, to do this one favour and give the gift to Tahseen.
Eric was amused by Zuhair’s desperation and insisted on knowing all the details.
Eric was all too happy to see his friend go through such lengths of an apology for a girl.

Tahseen gingerly stood up and pulled the gift bag forward.

She wondered who could possibly leave such a gift.
As she pulled away the gold tissue paper, she spied a few items in the bag and her eyes knitted together in confusion.