Chapter 8

Searching
Katibah Elle
Chapter 8

Tahseen waited while her family hustled and bustled around her.
The twins were going at it with their mother and Tahseen just sat back and smiled.

Knowing now that her mother only truly had her best interests at heart, she found it a little easier to accommodate her mother's overbearing ways.

After opening up to her mother, Tahseen found a friend in her and now she didn’t feel so alone.
She still did not feel pure happiness nor contentment, but she definitely unearthed a mother and daughter relationship she had only dreamed of.

The entire family were eating breakfast together and Tahseen was beyond excited to tell everyone her good news.
“Abdullah! Where is your wife? I mean, I know she’s pregnant, but really! It can’t take her that long to pee, the baby might fall out!” Fahmida hissed.

Abdullah gave Tahseen a pleading look and Tahseen bit her lip to stop herself from laughing.

Ayesha’s pregnancy made her mother a little crazy edgy with all the old wive's tales.
Tahseen needed to constantly assure Ayesha and her mother, that all these symptoms were completely normal.

The poor girl spent half her mornings throwing up, Tahseen tried her best to help. Tahseen may have not wanted to become a doctor, but she started to find it growing on her. She enjoyed helping others, it gave her a small sense of calmness over the struggles within.

Right now, a distraction for her mother would be great, this was a perfect moment for the perfect announcement.
She picked up her mug of coffee and tapped on the rim with her spoon.

Abdullah send a thumbs up her way and quietly sneaked away to check on Ayesha and get her back in the kitchen.
“Attention Hassims, I have an important announcement to make.” Tahseen said loud and clear.

The flurry of activity stopped and everyone turned to look at her.

Feeling a tad bit nervous, Tahseen cleared her throat and lowered her gaze as she announced, “ So, recently Dr Miller and I have been discussing doing more for the children’s ward. We came up with a few ideas, such as dress up the kids as their favourite character for a photo shoot or imagination day. As ideas were thrown around, the topic of possible painted murals came about. I have decided to take it on. My very own, first ever, art project.”

Tahseen lifted her eyes to see her father’s lips tremble.
With her heart lodged in her throat, she was about to tell her father, that it is OK, she won’t go ahead with the painting when her mother burst into tears.

Oh no...
Tahseen felt her panic rise, this was a big mistake. She should have taken baby steps!
She needed to make this right!

“Oh my darling girl! You have no idea how happy this makes me. To watch you talk with such love for something and to see your eyes shine for it, makes me so proud.” Fahmida burst out.

Her tears were happy tears for her little girl, the only girl of the Hassim family to finally allow herself follow her heart.
She dropped a sweet kiss in her daughter’s cheek.

Ebrahim winked at his daughter, his hand over his heart and Tahseen choked back her gratefulness.

Feeling just a fraction of peace in her soul, Tahseen found a new enjoyment in her morning coffee...

The second she reached work, Tahseen made sure to check in with Dr. Miller immediately.
She wanted to confirm if she could get started on her mural, preferably today.

She breezed pass Linda with an exuberant hello, causing Linda to mistype a few words.

“Who spiked your coffee this morning?” Linda asked, thoroughly confused by Tahseen’s merry mood.