Chapter 32

Searching
Katibah Elle
Chapter 32

Zuhair was concerned.

His wife’s first words when waking up, had to do with her grandfather.
The way she panicked, the urgency in which she demanded to see him, made Zuhair wonder if Kaju Khala was telling the truth, or if that man really had something to do with Tahseen’s accident.

Eric walked into the room, taking note of Zuhair’s worrisome expression.
“Let her rest, she’ll be asleep for most of the time. I think you need to get a coffee and some food. Come on, allow her parents a chance to sit with her.”

“Alright, but I need to talk to you. Alone.” Zuhair replied, reluctant to leave Tahseen’s side.

Eric grabbed Zuhair’s arm, giving Fahmida and Ebrahim a polite smile, he escorted Zuhair out of the room.

Zuhair huffed irritably, “You don’t have to drag me out, that’s my wife and my baby...”

“Yes Zuhair, we all know that.” Eric interrupted, “but she has a mother and father that are sick with worry, and they too want time alone with their daughter. She was theirs before she became yours, so respect them too.”

Zuhair didn’t reply as he followed Eric to the car.

He understood what Eric was trying to say, and it was selfish of him to make it known that he was the only one she needed.
Tahseen needed them all, and most importantly Fahmida and Ebrahim needed to see their daughter, to know that their daughter and her baby was OK.

Eric bought food at a drive through and tossed it at Zuhair, “It’s halal, and here’s a coke. Drink all of it, you need some energy. Now what did you want to talk about?”

Zuhair looked down at the food and remarked, “Hey Eric. Thank you. You are honestly a good friend, being there for me and calling me out on my bullshit. I just... The thought of something happening to Tahseen or the baby, it’s a pain I don’t want to ever experience. I should apologise to Tahseen’s parents.”

Eric shook his head, “It’s understandable, but if there’s one unsolicited advice I can give, never toss away your girls parents, nor forget their importance. They’re a major part of her life too.”

Zuhair nodded. Especially now with the news of a baby, he needed to be more accommodating towards his mother in law and father in law.

With that settled in his mind, it was time to lay out his questions to Eric, “When Tahseen woke up, as soon as she was conscious of her surroundings, she demanded to talk to her grandfather. Her eyes were so desperate. I don’t know what to do about that, because earlier I made a phone call to her aunt, and she mentioned something about Tahseen and her knowing they were being followed and a blackmail scheme. Do you think it would be safe for Tahseen, to talk to her grandfather?”

Eric took and moment to gather his thoughts, and then he replied, “In my medical opinion, when someone had gone through a physical trauma, in order to get them closer to recovery, we suggest that their requests be met.
But as your friend, and seeing what her grandfather has done to you, I feel that it might have an adverse effect on her. However.... I suggest that we call him in, while only you and I are present. We need to figure out the game of that devious old man.”

***

Tahseen woke up feeling heavily disoriented, yet even in that state, the urgency in her gut did not go away.

“Hey beautiful.. Sleep well?” Zuhair greeted her with a soft smile.

Tahseen smiled back at him, albeit a bit weakly. She wanted to spend more time with her handsome man but there was a matter of great importance that stood in the way.

“Love, there’s something I need to tell you...” Zuhair said while ever so gently stroking her cheek with his fingertips, “... you’ve been in an accident, there’s a few injuries but I know you’re a fighter. Eric will give you the whole break down, and don’t you worry there’s some really amazing news too. But for now there’s a visitor waiting to see you. Only if you’re up for it..”

A visitor?

Tahseen nodded without thinking, barely taking in the fact that she was in hospital.
She watched as Zuhair sent a text, and a moment later the door opened.

Her grandfather sauntered in with Eric a step right behind him.

“Ahh my lovely Tahseen. I was so distraught at the news of your accident! I had to come right away.” Moosa Hassim forced a smile at his granddaughter.

Tahseen narrowed her eyes at him, her heart thumping in her chest, while her hands itched to wrapped around his neck and strangle the wretched man.

With all the energy she muster, Tahseen replied, her voice a little hoarse, “Grandfather...
The devil himself.
Your lies really have no end, you’re not here to see me!
You’re here to make sure your dirty little secret never gets out in the family or your beloved society.
Well you’re too late for that, Kaju Khala has everything, including the birth certificate and given that she’s hell bent on wanting to be the prosecutor in your case, you have no where to hide.
How can you possibly face my father? My uncle?
The poor man had no choice but to cover up your filthy secret!
You knew they were out for you, you knew it and you wanted to hurt that boy to send a message.
So now, all that needs to be done, is to make sure you are locked away for a very long time, without hurting anybody else...”

Moosa Hassim growled, “You conniving little bitch...” as he charged forward.

Before he could lay a hand on Tahseen, Zuhair and Eric managed to grab him back, pinning him down to the ground.

Zuhair turned to his wife , “What on earth are you talking about, Tahseen?”

Tahseen did not move her eyes away from her grandfather’s, as she spilled what he desired to be hidden most, “My grandfather definitely made plans for someone to be hurt that day at the Valli’s.
The only twist, is that it wasn’t me.
The hunt was on the boy who had been riding the bike, the great Moosa Hassim’s illegitimate son, from one of the Valli woman.
He hid it so well, that Bilal Valli believed the boy to be Moosa’s great grandson.
My grandfather blackmailed one of his own blood and flesh, to lie and say that the child was theirs, while he was the one who fathered the child.”

Moosa shouted at her in rage, “YOU WILL PAY ... I will...”

Eric pressed down Moosa’s face to the ground and he groaned, his sentence left unfinished.

“How do you even know this?” Zuhair asked, shocked that she’d never mentioned it.

Tahseen looked at Zuhair with wide eyes, her lips trembling, “When my grandfather came to our house that night, I didn’t want to call you, because I feared that he would harm you again.
I called Kaju Khala instead, and I just blurted out everything.
She begged me to calm down, because there was something she and my uncle had been working with for a long time.
From what I know, my uncle was ready to go to court and settle this, the fact that the accident happened only puts a nail on my grandfathers coffin.
Kaju Khala had an acquaintance that worked for my grandfather, and he gave my aunt the information in exchange for a new job, without strings attached to the name Moosa Hassim.
All Kaju Khala needed was to confirm it legally, and she did.
My uncle confessed that the boy wasn’t his, and that he was blackmailed to marry the Valli woman, as a second wife.
If he didn’t obey, his entire business and life’s work would be taken away, and my grandfather had the power to do that.
Kaju Khala didn’t tell me everything, until we reached the Valli’s.
We met with the woman, and my uncle to get hold of all records, including a DNA test, and that’s when I learnt about who my grandfather really is.
But when I turned around and you where there, Zuhair...
It was all too overwhelming and seeing you there, there was so much I wanted to tell you, but I decided that I will first go to my grandfather myself and strike a deal with him. I guess he made sure to strike first, by almost killing his own son.”

Zuhair pursed his lips in anger, then turned to Tahseen and grabbed her face in his hands, “This could have gone wrong so, so badly. Promise me Tahseen, no more secrets.”

The tears fell from her eyelids as she whispered in return, “I promise.”