21. Jealousy

The next day Gojo and I took the students down to the forest on the edge of the grounds to practice. We knew they had a test there soon and it was better to familiarise themselves with the area.

It had a mixture of foliage ranging large cypress trees to small shrubbery. The different shades of green and the lack of sunlight made it eerie yet beautiful.

It was perfect for ambush attacks but made hand to hand combat more restricted. It was also good for testing the focus and aim of cursed energy without causing too much damage to your surroundings.

For once Gojo took charge as he could tell I wasn't in the mindset to teach. He looked concerned but didn't question me further. I was grateful for it.
We both knew there were things left unsaid between us and I felt guilty keeping Gojo in the dark but I knew it was for the best to keep him at a distance. I just prayed that one day the awkwardness would fade as the tension had become unbearable.

But as much as I tried to make myself present in this situation my mind was on something else entirely. All I wanted to do was get back to my little secret.. I was growing impatient already.

However, instead of a secret, it seemed as though I'd gained a stalker instead.
My mind snapped from its haze of the day before when I sensed him. I smirked at the thought that Toji was here, hidden perfectly amongst the trees and bushes. Watching me like a predator. The thought made me weak as I subtly tried to scan the area.

But I also couldn't help but worry. If Gojo noticed, Toji was a dead man.

I nervously looked over to Gojo. If I could sense Toji he definitely would be able to if he thought something was off. But to my surprise, he was still focused on the students.

Yet Gojo seemed off. He wasn't being his childish, energetic self that day, which made me weary of what was on his mind.
I tensely walked up to stand beside Gojo, attempting to be as relaxed as I could but I couldn't stop my eyes from wondering.

" Looking for something?"

My eyes snapped to Gojo's. He tilted his head to look at me with an amused look on his face. I felt like a deer in the headlights.

" I um n-no no it's just been so long time since I've here. It still gives me the creeps, but I do remember kicking your ass here a few times when we were younger." I nervously laughed.

He let out an amused laugh. " I think I recall it being the other way around but if you want a rematch I'm sure I'll have you pinned in the dirt in no time ".

Before I could argue back a branch snapping behind us made us spin around. All three students paused to watch.
What was Toji thinking? Did he have a death wish?
Gojo cautiously walked towards the sound. My heart was in my mouth, I had to try and help.
Before I could stop myself I ran up to Gojo.

" Wait!" I shouted.

He turned to look at me confused but still went to search the bushes where the sound came from.

" Gojo please I can explain! Just stop a min-"

I was cut off by what we both saw. A tiny little curse looked up at us, startled that it had been discovered.

" So you can explain a tiny curse?" Gojo snickered.

They all looked at me confused and my face flushed in embarrassment.

" I um... wanted to see if the students would pick up on its presence. It was a test! But I didn't realise it would make such a noise haha.." I awkwardly rubbed the back of my neck.

" Oh man so we failed!" Nobara moaned.
I picked up the curse and threw it on Megumi.

"You guys still pass if you get it off Megumi"