24. New Mission

My eyes fluttered open as the sun hit my face. Shit I fell asleep!

I sprung up and looked around, finding the space next to me empty. Toji must've snuck out in the night. I ran my fingers through my messy hair and sighed. He could've at least said goodbye.... Sometimes I thought that man caused more stress than it was worth.

The smell of food burning hit my nose and I realised Gojo must be back. I just prayed he was in a better mood and we could talk things out.

I lazily made my way down the stairs to make sure he wasn't burning the house down.

I walked into the kitchen to find him cooking up breakfast. His back was turned to me as I took a seat at the table.

"Hey Gojo-"

He cut me off by throwing a plate of food in front of me.

" Here eat, hurry up we've got a mission".

His cheeks almost seemed tinted and his hair was a mess. Why did he seem so flustered?

" Uh thanks" I mumbled. Damn why was it still so awkward to talk to him?

He gave me a nod without looking at me and shot up stairs. Guess he was still pissed at me. He's acting even more off than I was. I just wish he'd let me talk to him.

Once we were both ready we awkwardly headed over to the meeting point. Neither of us spoke a word for what felt like forever.

I went to open my mouth but Gojo cut me off again.

" I know you want to talk but we'll talk later. For now we've got to focus on this. From what I've heard it's multiple special grades in one building".

I'd never seen him look so serious.

" Seriously? Multiple in one building? That's unheard of"

"Until now apparently. Whatever happens we've got to stay together on this one. We can't risk splitting up."

" Got it"

I tried to look calm in front of Gojo but I was officially terrified. One special grade was hard enough let alone a group of them.

We arrived in front of a large prison facility. There were people all around us screaming and crying. Some were horrifically injured. There were already body bags lining the sidewalk. I flinched at the sight. It was a somber atmosphere.

We grouped up with Nanami and the students. They also seemed on edge already. I'm surprised they were allowed on this mission but I guess it's safety in numbers.
We wordlessly nodded at each other and followed Gojo into the building.

We headed down a long corridor. Gojo and Nanami were in front, followed by me and Yuji, then Megumi and Kugisaki. It was eerily quiet, the only sounds were our footsteps.

The more we walked, the more it seemed like the place was empty.

Nanami and Gojo soon took a turn at the end of a long stretch but as we went to follow we hit into a large brick wall. It was a dead end but how? Nanami and Gojo were gone?

" What the hell?"

I could hear Nanami shout from the other side. We'd been cut off from each other.

We tried shouting back but It didn't seem like Nanami and Gojo could hear us.

We backed up but Kugisaki's scream caused me and Yuji to spin round. Her and Megumi were gone.