Chapter Eight

Author's Note: Okay, this chapter is about to get really cute. I hope you like it. ☺ ~Theme song for this chapter is "Somebody To You by The Vamps ft. Demi Lovato. - Also, new cover art by yours truly - inspired by @MayTijssen

Chapter 8

My brother kept sending me texts during the car ride, trying to get me to talk. It was not that I did not trust Matt; I just felt that it was a little early for me to say anything to him yet. Trying to explain my mom's dream to him would not be easy, because my brother would have turned it into a joke. Matt was not someone to take a dream seriously.

Come on, Eddie! He kept texting. Spill the beans already! What were you two really doing?

There is nothing to tell, I replied. You, of all people, know me best. You should know that I would not do what you are thinking.

Nevertheless, you did go swimming with her the yesterday, right.

It does not matter, Matt. Besides, I spoke to Dad about it. It is not something to be worked up about.

I turned off my phone and shoved it in my pocket, mainly to conserve battery since I did not have my charger. I glanced at Leyda; she kept looking at me during my text exchange with Matt. I didn't know if Matt was sharing the exchange with Dylan, but I didn't really care.

"Anyone hungry?" Leyda asked as she drove into Subway parking lot. "We've got quite a bit more driving to do."

"Pit stop!" Dylan yelled, jumping out of the car and running inside.

"That's very mature, Dylan! Crash, Eddie, I am buying. Get whatever combo you want."

"Whoa!" Matt said, "What happened to Monkey-Ears?"

"Crash is a better name," I replied, getting out of the car.

I came around to the other side of the car and opened Leyda's door. In spite of Matt's surprised stare, I helped Leyda from the car. He knew that I already had this habit, because of June. Leyda beamed as she walked passed me towards the entrance. Before I could go inside after her, Matt placed his hand on my shoulder and stopped me.

"Dude," he said slowly. "What the heck is going on? Why are you being so vague? Just tell me what is going on."

"It's nothing that you need to be concerned about," I replied, "When I feel the time is right, I will explain."

I could tell Matt did not quite understand, but he nodded and we went inside. Leyda was standing in line, looking at all the different sandwich selections.

"What do you two want?" she asked, looking at us briefly.

"Well," I replied, looking at the menus. "What are you getting?"

"A foot-long, chicken with everything, except for the jalapeños, on Honey-oat."

"Mm sounds good to me. I'll have that too."

Leyda laughed softly and began to tell the sandwich maker the order. Matt and Dylan did theirs while Leyda and I stood at the checkout. As crazy as it was, I felt comfortable enough to hug Leyda. Which I did hug her, because I felt that she needed it. I meant it to be a friendly hug, and the gesture was not misunderstood.

"Thanks," Leyda said with a sigh. "Today has taken quite a turn, hasn't it?"

"Yeah," I replied, pulling away before just before Matt looked our way. "LG, where is this going?"

"Where is what going?"

"This . . ."

She looked at the few inches that separated us, biting her lip.