Chapter One

a/n hopefully I fixed any grammar errors, but feel free to point them out if you happen to see them :)
I hope you like this chapter, I really hope to complete this story because I really like where I am headed with it.

Chapter 1

I was in the hospital and I was delusional. The pattern on the walls kept moving. Doc warned me that things would be a little weird after I woke from my operation. I sighed as I relaxed for the first time in nine years. Ever since I was twelve, I suffered from a high heart rate. My pulse would go so fast that I could relax or go to bed without taking a sleeping pill or two. I closed my eyes and smiled to myself.

"This is nice," I said, pulling the covers up over my head.

There was a faint pain in my chest from the stitches. I sat up slowly and pulled the blankets away, revealing a scar down the middle of my chest. I ran my fingers over it. The doctor had told me, before the operation, that my scar probably would not go away, but at least it would heal. I looked up as the doctor came into the room, followed by my parents. My mom sighed in relief and came to sit next to me on the bed. Here it comes, I thought.

"You've been out for a while," she said, hugging me tightly.

"How long is a while?" I asked, trying to loosen Mom's grip.

"You were heavily sedated," my dad replied, taking my mother's hands away. "You've been asleep for a week. Sweetheart, you're smothering the boy."

I wiped my cheek, making sure Mom's lipstick didn't stain it. She smiled apologetically; I smiled back and hugged her.

"Well Michael," said the doctor, looking at the clipboard that hung on the end of the bed. "Your x-rays show real improvement, everything seems to be functioning properly. You should be able to go home in a few days."

I nodded "And it's certain that I won't have any more problems?" I asked. "My pulse will remain normal?"

"Absolutely, and I'm glad to say that we were able to save someone else's life with your heart organ."

I looked at my dad questioningly, then back at the doctor. What did he mean by that? I thought. Seeing my puzzled expression, the doctor chuckled. He came to one side of the bed.

"There's a girl in the next room," he explained, shining a small light in my left eye. "She needed a heart that could pump more blood through her body in order to do what she had to."

"Really?" my dad asked, intrigued by the subject.

"So," I said, looking at my hands when the doc finished. "My heart....saved another person's life?"

Doc nodded "I'll leave you to catch up with your parents," he said as he left the room.

I was still looking at my hands. I was grateful to God that I had survived the operation. My parents were on either side of me now, both with their hands on my shoulders.

"We must give thanks to God," Mom said, touching the scar on my chest with her free hand. "For His mercy on Michael's life and for healing him."

I nodded "Can we...." I hesitated, looking at her. "Can we pray for that girl? God must have a plan for her if He allowed her to live with my heart given to her."

Mom looked at my dad, he nodded. I lowered my head and closed my eyes as he began to pray.

"Gracious God of Heaven," he said, placing his other hand on my back. "We come before you this moment to give thanks. We thank You for having Your mighty hand on Michael as he went through his operation. We ask that you use him for your glory. And we'd also like to lift up the girl who was lucky in receiving Michael's heart. We ask you that you help her to find her way to you, wherever she may be. In Your Son's name, we pray, amen."