Chapter Three

Chapter 3

We drove most of the way in silence, except for my occasional directions. It felt unusual to be going somewhere with Leyda. The only time we had gone anywhere was a class field trip to the planetarium. I wondered if she remembered stuff like that.

Make small talk, I thought to myself. Break the ice.

"So," I said as we pulled into the culinary school.

"Would you unload the crates?" Leyda asked, looking at the stack of paper she held. "I have to get this receipt signed."

"Sure," I replied, but she was already out of the truck.

I sighed; maybe she was not one for small talk, yet. I got out of the truck and picked up the hand-truck from the trunk. I loaded the crates and pushed them to the door. Leyda was at the front desk, speaking to the receptionist.

"Leave the crates there," she said, pointing to the wall behind her desk.

I did as she said and followed Leyda back out the door.

“She was so rude,” Leyda said with a scoff. “She was mad it was not Matt and Dylan making the delivery.”

I did not say anything as I put the hand-truck into the trunk. I did not know what to say. I was afraid to say anything for some reason. We got back into the truck and back on the road, Leyda was driving. She was the first to speak.

“Mike,” she said hesitantly. “Can I ask you something?”

“Sure,” I replied glad to have some kind of conversation.

“Um. . . When was the last time you. . .” she paused. “Does Brandon freak out over the dumbest things?”

I hesitated; I did not want to say something that would make her feel worse. I had no answer, however.

“I don’t know how to answer that question,” I said, looking at Leyda apologetically. “I mean, obviously, the dude has some issues.”

Leyda bit her bottom lip as it quivered. She kept her gaze on the road ahead.

“I think Brandon and I are done,” she said with a sigh. “I think it’s a good thing though. I mean, you saw those flowers he brought to me in the hospital.”

“Pitiful,” I said bluntly.

“Exactly, and we never even went out on a real date.”

She laughed with relief. Okay, so she thought they were done. However, knowing Brandon, he was probably trying to pretend nothing happened. I didn’t say anything to Leyda though, I didn’t know if I should.

“Hey,” Leyda went on, “weren’t you dating that girl . . . back in middle school, you were always with her.”

I had not expected her to talk about June, but it was only fair since Leyda talked about Brandon.

“You mean Junie B. Jones?” I asked, joking.

Leyda laughed, “That was not her name! What was it?”

I smiled, “It was June Jones, and she was the girl with all the mood swings.

“Yeah, June, how is she?”

“I would not know,” I replied softly. “She broke up with me last night because I couldn’t come to her party.”

Leyda did not say anything at first. I looked out the window at the passing hills. I felt an odd relief. Perhaps it was a good thing June broke up with me, but the real hurt would eventually hit me.