Chapter Thirteen

Author's Note: Hallo my lovelies! obviously it has been a few days, but here it is - enjoy and leave me some comments. I love reading them and I almost always reply to every single one of them. :) ~ Harper ♥ (pic is Michael and Matt - Drawing by http://molokolo.deviantart.com)

Chapter 13

As the week went by, Leyda and I grew closer together. We never left each other's side, except when we went to bed. However, when we were not together, we were texting. I was not much of a phone person, I only had it out of necessity and in the case that I needed to call my parents, or my brother. This was a strange new habit, but it was worth it with Leyda. We had planned to return home on Saturday, this way Matt and I could go to church the next morning with our parents.

"I would like to go with you," Leyda said as she repacked her bag. "To church, I mean."

"I would love for you to come," I said, smiling. "You would like it, and everyone is very friendly. Wait, you used to go there too, right?"

"Yeah, but that was a long time ago. I've kinda . . . You know, slid away a bit."

"Then I will just have to help you find your way back to the path."

Leyda smiled and looked at the floor. I went over to her and hugged her close to me. After a few seconds, she hugged me back.

"My parents have been trying to get me to come back for so long," she whispered, looking up at me with soft tears in her eyes.

"They still love you," I said, catching a tear on my thumb as it falls. "And remember that song we heard the other day? The Sidewalk Prophets' song?"

"Which one?" Leyda asked, taking a deep breath.

I cleared my throat.

"The question was raised, as my conscience fell, a silly, little lie. It didn't mean much, but it lingers still in the corners of my mind. Still you call me to walk, on the edge of this world, to spread my dreams and fly. But the future's so far, my heart is so frail. I think I'd rather stay inside. But You love me anyway. It's like nothing in life that I've ever known. Yes, You love me anyway. Oh Lord, how You love me, how You love me."

Leyda smiled softly. "You have a beautiful voice," she said.

"My mom placed me in the church choir when I was twelve," I explained, "and I still am. I'm going to be singing this Sunday."

"Mike is the only guy in the choir," Matt announced as he entered the room.

I sighed and looked at him.

"Just stating the fact," he added, holding up his hands.

"An unnecessary fact," I said slowly. "I am the only tenor, so it would make sense. Besides, it is not about being the only young man in the choir. It is about leading the congregation in worship to God. Honestly bro, you seem to be losing important brain cells."

Matt gave a mock-smile before going into the bathroom. Leyda took my hand, leading me outside. I felt tense, and it was not from my brother's joshing.

"You need to pause and take breath," Leyda said, pausing in front of me. "Now, inhale and exhale slowly."

I closed my eyes and did as she said. The tension went away immediately.

"Now," she went on, motioning to the nearby bench. "What's bothering you? Is it Matt's teasing?"

"No," I replied, shaking my head. "I don't know what it is, to be honest."