Chapter Sixteen

Author's Note: I hope you like this chapter. Enjoy! ~ Harper ♥

Chapter 16

I lay awake for hours, unable to fall asleep. I was deep in thought, thinking about what my mom had said the week before. I had been praying about the matter, seeking God's will, waiting with open ears to hear His voice. I knew He would answer me, He always did. All I had to do was watch and wait.

Suddenly, my phone buzzed under my pillow. I checked to see who it was. It was Leyda, of course.

I need to talk to you, it said. I'm outside.

I got up and went to my window; there was a small beam of a flashlight shining from behind one of the trees. As quietly as I could, I went downstairs and outside.

"What's wrong?" I asked when I saw her tear streamed face. "Leyda, what happened?"

"You're gonna hate me," she replied, sobbing softly. "You'll never want to see me again because of what I am going to tell you."

"That's not possible," I pulled her into me, kissing the top of her head. "What do you need to tell me?"

"Something that I should have told you the moment we first kissed. . ." She broke into deeper sobs, slowly dropping to her knees.

I came down with her, never letting her go.

"Leyda," I said softly. "Whatever it is, I am sure it will not cause me to hate you. Tell me, please?"

"I want to," she began, looking up for a moment. "But I don't know how to tell you . . . All those years ago . . . I don't know where she is . . . I would have . . . I would have kept her, but I was so hurt by Brandon, and I never told him . . ."

"Leyda, slow down . . . You would have kept who? Take a deep breath and try again."

She did and said, "When Brandon did that thing to me, the result was me getting pregnant. Brandon had left to college before I found out. After the baby was born, I put her up for adoption. The only one who knew about it was my mom, and I could not bring myself to tell my dad, or my brother. I have the option to know who has her, but I was so afraid. And now I have you and I just have this guilt rising up that I have kept this from you. I'm so sorry, Michael. I should have said something before. Please don't  . . ."

Leyda started to cry again; I was in shock. I could not speak; I was frozen with my arms around Leyda as she sobbed softly.

"Say something," she whispered a moment later. "Michael, please say something."

"I can't," I replied, a choking sensation building in my throat. "I don't know what to say . . ."

"I knew you would hate me."

Leyda stood and ran to the car, which sat parked next to the sidewalk. I did not even look up when she drove away. I just sat there, frozen with confusion and puzzlement, and slightly angry. Was I angry with Leyda for not telling me? Was I angry with Brandon, or was I angry that Leyda gave the baby up? I did not know what to do.

I stayed in that spot until the sun came up.  Deprived of sleep full of anguish; it was my brother who found me.

"How long have you been out here?" he asked, helping me to my feet. "Dude, your eyes are black! You should go to bed and rest."

I started to walk, but could not move more than a few feet. Matt had to help me into the house. We made it as far as the couch, because I suddenly had a sharp pang in my chest. While my brother went to go get Dad, I stayed crumpled on the couch, thriving in pain that I had thought would never come back.