Chapter Seventeen

Author's Note: Whoa! major plot twist readers. . . And peeps! This story is breaking a personal chapter record. The most chapters I have ever written in any of my stories has been fifteen parts max! :D I am so glad with where this story is going. Enjoy! ~ Harper ♥

Chapter 17

As the week went by, I had to stay resting a lot. My mother would not let me go to work, so Leyda would come over to keep me company. I had three more episodes, and the pang in my chest kept coming and going. All I could do was pray for God to give me relief, and He did instantly. I knew this was just one of those spiritual battles, and I needed to keep my eyes on Jesus Christ and know that God was in control.

"Hey," Leyda said as I woke from one of my long naps. "It's good to see your eyes open."

"How long was I asleep?" I asked, trying to sit up.

"Don't sit up," she replied, putting her hand on my shoulder. "You have been asleep for around an hour or more. I have not been keeping track because I am lost in this book your mom let me read."

"Which one?"

"With Every Letter, by Sarah Sundin. It is really good so far."

I nodded and sighed, resting my head back in her lap.

"You've got cabin-fever, don't you?" Leyda asked, laughing, kissing the top of my head. "Well, I have a cure for that. Your mom left us some homemade cookies, and the backyard looks like the perfect place for a picnic. How's that?"

"Sounds wonderful," I replied, smiling softly. "Hey, did that social worker get back to you about her?"

"They said they would notify me the moment they hear anything," she explained with a sigh. "All I know about her is that she has not been placed with a permanent family. She has been bounced from foster home to foster home."

"Then you better start mentally preparing yourself. I think you have chance to have her back."

I sat up slowly to let Leyda stand and stretch her legs. A moment later, she helped me outside to the blanket on the grass.

"She would be four or five now," Leyda went on slowly. "What if she does not want me to have her back?"

"If she is that young," I replied, resting my head on the pillow in her lap. "She will be grateful to have a permanent home. She will have her mother back, and she will love you. Also, I wanted to give you something."

I reached into my pocket and pulled out the small, blue-velvet box Mrs. Kelly had given me.

"What's this?" Leyda asked, laughing softly.

"Open it and find out."

There was a long pause while I waited to hear her reaction. I felt her take a deep breath, but her voice did not show me any sign of surprise.

"Leyda?" I said slowly, sitting up slowly.

"Michael," she cut me off, putting her finger to my lips to stop me. "I think you should know that you do not need to ask, because my answer is already yes."

I chuckled; Leyda laughed as I took the ring and slipped it on her finger. I slipped the other ring onto her other hand.

"What did you mom say when you told her you were looking for your daughter?" I asked, settling back into my place.

"She said she will back me up," Leyda replied, running her fingers through my hair. "I spoke to my dad, and broke the news to my brother. Dad and Dylan were away most of the time, trying to get the farm back on its feet. I made Mom promise that she would not tell them what was going on, and they never found out."

"And what did they say?"

"Dylan wants to go and beat Brandon up; Dad wants to file complaints against him."

"And what does your fiancée think?"

Leyda smiled softly. "He wants me to follow my heart and he thinks it is a good idea for me to find my little girl and take her back," she said, kissing me softly. "Will you come with me when they say I can see her?"

"Of course I will," I replied, reaching a hand up to caress her cheek. "Thank you for keeping me company."

"I love you."

"I love you more."

~               *               ~

"I am so nervous," Leyda said, pacing back and forth in the waiting room. "What if she doesn't like me?"

"Leyda," I said, taking her hand as she passed me a fiftieth time. "Everything will be fine, you'll see."

She flattened her lips, nodding as she sat next to me. I hugged her to my side and kissed the top of her head. The social worker that was helping Leyda to find her daughter had contacted saying she was living in the group home, which was downtown.

"Miss Kelly," the social worker said, coming from the other room. "You may come and see her now."

Leyda squeezed my hand; we stood and followed the social worker through the door to the other room. Sitting on the floor, surrounded by several toys, crayons and coloring books is a little girl; she looked just like Leyda.

"Lilia," the social worker said, calling her attention to us. "Look who came to see you."

Lilia gasped as she stood, running to Leyda.

"Momma!" she yelled, as she hugged her. "I missed you!"

"How did you know that I am your momma?" Leyda asked; I could see the tears in Leyda's eyes.

"Because I know you," Lilia replied, speaking clear as day. "I remember you from a long time ago."

"You're five, right?" I asked, kneeling down beside them.

"Yes," Lilia smiled, nodding.

"I'm so sorry I left you," Leyda said softly as the social worked left the room. "And how do you talk so much, like a big girl?"

"It's okay; the people told me you have a lot to think about," she explained, walking over to her coloring books. "I had a good teacher teach me to talk. She is in Heaven now."

I laughed softly. Lilia smiled and went on to her coloring. Leyda and I exchanged a look; Leyda was laughing in astonishment.

"Lilia," Leyda said, looking back at her. "This is my best friend, Michael."

"He's not my daddy, right?" Lilia asked, shaking her head, looking at me with intent eyes. "But he could be, right? Because he looks like he would be a nice daddy."

"That's so sweet to say," I said, sitting next to her. "I think you and I would be best buds."

"That would be fun."

I smiled at Leyda; she could not speak, just smile with tears of joy in her eyes. Lilia continued to color in her book, but every now and then, she would present Leyda or me with a finished picture, covered in hearts and happy-faces. Lilia even signed it with 'To Mommy' or 'To Daddy'. It was amazing how quickly Lilia had adjusted to Leyda as her mother. It was God's doing, and I knew it.