Chapter Two

a/n I would like it better if I had some other chapters typed, but I am just too excited to slow my pace, so I give you chapter 2 :)

Chapter 2

It was Sunday; I was at home lying on my bed. I was supposed to be on my way to June's party, but my mom did not want me to go, since I had to be at work early the next morning. I decided to call her, let her know that I was not coming.

"Hello," she answered in a singsong voice.

"Hey June bug," I said, settling on my bed. "Is everything going okay?"

"Yep, the party's all set up. So, are you on your way over?"

"Well..." I hesitated, looking at her picture on my side table. "That's why I'm calling. I can't come."

"What?! Why?"

I sighed "I-I have to get up before the sun tomorrow, and my mom doesn't want me out late."

June groaned, "Your mom doesn't like me," she said in a frustrated voice.

"Aw, June," I said, "that's not it and you know it. I just had an operation and my mom wants me to take it easy."

"I leave for New York tomorrow, but my mom said we could still have the party. You are such a 'mama's boy', Michael! Stand up to her! You're twenty-one, start acting like it!"

She hung up after that. I sighed and flung my phone across the room. I knew June was not going to be calling me, at least not at the moment.

"Let her cool off," I told myself, when my phone rang.

I got up and grabbed my phone from the floor. The screen read: New Message. It was from June.

Michael, it said, we are done!

June was serious if she broke up with me by text. She was definitely serious if she sent me a text. I tossed my phone on my bed and decided to go to the kitchen. I needed something to chill my nerves. I opened the fridge and pulled out the milk carton. I pushed back the tabs and drank whatever was leftover.

"Boo!" milk spat out of my mouth.

I dropped the carton and turned, looking at my brother. Milk was all over the place. Matt was grinning.

"You almost gave me a heart-attack," I said, giving me a shove. "I got out of the hospital to prevent a heart problem. Ugh! Hand me those paper towels."

"Chill out, Mike," Matt said, handing me the paper towel roll. "What's up?"

I shook my head as I wiped the milk-splattered floor. After I finished cleaning the milk mess, I tossed the dirty paper towels into the trash.

"Let me guess," Matt went on, leaning against the counter. "It's June."

I nodded, closing the refrigerator door.

"Wow! You flunked that one."

I looked at my brother. Did he have to make it worse?

"I didn't do anything," I said with irritation.

"Bro," he said, throwing back his head to laugh. "You just flunked a major reality check. It's May twenty-eighth."

Matt was laughing; I rolled my eyes. It was June ninth. I crossed my arms and looked at him.

"Are you serious?" I asked, getting ready to 'play along'. "Did you get a knock to your head?"

Matt looked puzzled, he scratched his temple.