Chapter Five

a/n okay, we are getting towards the height of the story. i know you are waiting to see how the "romance" starts. . .

Chapter Five

I did not know what to say to Leyda whenever she spoke to me. All I could think about was what Matt had expressed to me, without even saying much. I did not want to accidently say something about it and have her upset.

"Mike," Leyda said while we checked fences again. "You've been rather quiet today. Do you feel alright?"

"I'm fine," I replied, my voice sounded hoarse, which was weird.

"You might think you are fine, but you don't look it. There is something bothering you, isn't there? Are you not feeling well because of . . . you know, the scar on your chest?"

"Something around there."

I could not meet Leyda's eye, my mind kept going back to Brandon every time I did. Several minutes passed before I finally could not stay quiet anymore, but I still was not going to mention anything concerning Brandon's stupidity, or the heart transplant.

"I think I am having a June relapse," I said, sighing. "I mean, she was my girlfriend for a long time."

"Do you wanna talk about it?" Leyda asked hesitantly; I could tell she was just bugging to talk about something.

"Sure," I replied, "I mean, I am both happy and sad that June ended it. She always has had these kinds of swings. She would get mad at me and say it was over, but come right back and be all gushy about fixing things back up. Probably the only reason I never ended it is because I wanted to remain faithful."

"She hasn't called since the other day?"

I shook my head. "Nope, but then again, why would she?"

I looked at Leyda for the first time since getting to the farm, caught a glimpse of her smiling.

"What?" I asked, pretending to be annoyed. "It's not like I am all that anyway."

"Guys think that way too?" Leyda asked, laughing softly. "Mike, you obviously do not look in the mirror often enough. I told you, me and my friends talked about you often."

"Yeah, aren't girls in high school supposed to have some topic to talk about when they are bored?"

"Not always, no."

I looked at her, raising an eyebrow.

"Okay," Leyda said, giggling. "Yes, girls always have some dumb topic to talk about when boredom hits."

I chuckled, "So now I'm a dumb topic?" I joked, crossing my arms.

"You know what I mean!"

Leyda was laughing; Leyda's laugh was such a lovely sound. I had to mentally slap myself; since when had I been so wrapped up?

"There's that look again," Leyda said, shaking her head. "Do you wanna do something fun? Let's skip the rest of today's work and get out of here."

"What would your dad say?" I asked; though I was hesitant about the idea, I did want to go do something fun with her.

"He won't find out," she replied, clearing her throat. "He is rarely bothered by my decisions. Except when it comes to the boys I date. He never liked Brandon."

I looked towards the ranch, which was nearly two miles away from where we stood now. I would probably be reprimanded by my mother for this, but I was an adult, and I knew how to behave myself.